Now.
Where was I... Ah yes, I was dashing off to the hairdressers, and had
been blaming hormones for the upheaval in my life. Certainly, the hormones are to blame for my
current crappy (or rather, crappier than usual) skin – notably on my
forehead. And so I got it into said
(fore)head to address this dermatological imperfection by covering it up. This is what I was hoping to channel:
Alas, this is closer to what I ended up with:
(Even the hairdresser – of a profession usually so ready to completely ignore your instructions and keep snip-snip-snipping away - looked a bit distraught).
And so I dashed home, traumatised my
mother-in-law (“Oh!” she said, when she saw me;
and nothing else), and squeezed my inner - and outer - serial killer
into that beautiful dress (kindly loaned to me by Seraphine), before escaping before the kids could deface me with
their hummus-hands. (Not, however, before the Boy looked at me and said “Mummy,
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???”)
And so to the Blog awards! I met the Man in the bar (where he did the
most obvious double-take I have ever seen in real life) but the competition for
drink was fierce, and so we eventually gave up and headed into the dining
room. Or rather tried to; because it turned out that actually, partners weren’t invited...
Ooooops. I guess I just assumed it was Plus 1- maybe I didn’t read the emails properly - or
indeed, at all (frankly, I’m still just thanking CHRIST that I didn’t pursue
my initial persistence that he wear black tie...) They were very nice about it,
but we were clearly going to mess up alot of organisation – not to mention
table plans – so made the decision to abandon the dinner and catch up a deux in the hotel restaurant. Which was lovely, even if
I was a bit over-dressed (even for a serial-killer).
We nipped back in in time for the awards, sat with REAL bloggers –
people who update their sites regularly, and who actually make an effort with
them (no Blogger Hosting malarkey for these people). In fact when the Man wasn’t laughing at my
ridiculous new ‘do, he was pissing himself with every nomination which appeared
on the screen: each time one was called
out, a snapshot of the site appeared. Every one of them, without exception, was professionally
done: logos and pictures and About Pages
and indexes... And then there was RL.
OHGOD. Through snorts the Man
managed to say: “Imagine if you
won!”
Thankfully – truthfully, because the
mortification would have been too much – I didn’t, and we were spared any further
shame. (I totally called it tho on
who would win – this great site; I mean
seriously, wouldn’t you give this your food blog vote?) And so we headed out into the night, home to
hang up our dancing frocks for – well, for good I suspect.
In other news, this is what the rest
of the week has delighted me with:
The Boy (on Sunday night) – out of
the blue, as he was going to bed:
“Mummy, you are going to DIE on Tuesday.”
“Really? Why do you say that?”
“Things that are sharp are going to
go into your mouth and through your face and you WILL DIE. On Tuesday.”
He was really quite specific about
Tuesday, so much so that I took a bit of extra care yesterday driving about in
the shit-hire-car (the wheels of which stop moving if you try to turn them more
than 30 degrees; which I have to say
makes turning onto busy London roads something of an adventure). Anyway, it turns out he’s no soothsayer, and I’ve
lived to screech at him another day.
Until next week at least.
The Girl and I were pottering in the
kitchen this morning, when I noticed a whole family of blackbirds in the
garden.
“Look at the birdies sweetheart
- what do birds say?”
“Fuck!” she shouted, happily.
(One in fact looked a bit hen-pecked
and possibly did shout Fuck! on a regular basis, but it wasn’t exactly the
response I was expecting.)
And the highlight of my parenting
week? This really just summed up where
the journey of parenthood has taken me (through the town of Despair, past the
village of Caring, to the Point of Resignation). We had a playdate (“we” being “they”) on
Monday, at the end of which the kids had a chocolate treat. After I bundled them all into the car and
strapped self in, I noticed something brown, crusty and semi-permanent on my
trousers. It could have been chocolate,
but then again, it could have been shit.
I scratched and sniffed.
It wasn’t chocolate.
The worse part was that I wasn’t
phased in the slightest. Not by the
poo on the jeans (dog’s, uuuugh, from a welly, via a puddle), nor by the poo
now under my fingernails, nor by the poo on the hanky which went back into my
pocket (which I found again yesterday).
I have become one of those women who accepts errand poo stains as a part
of her everyday life. I’m not sure
whether to despair or congratulate self on my new innate motherhoodness.
Moving on. I promised a recipe, and
here it is. I stole it directly from this lovely lady, (whose blog would –
nay, should - certainly and
deservedly win awards) and then added some cheese. (She in turn pinched it from someone else, and
actually it’s quite a common Italian recipe, so I don’t feel too bad for my plagiarism.) Rachel
recommends it as the perfect summer supper, however I’ve been eating it regularly
since being back in blowy blistery Blighty, and don’t feel anything has been
lost by the lack of sunshine.
Tomatoes
Stuffed with Rice
A quick note: In Italy, this is left to stand once cooked for
several hours, and served luke warm,
with diced roasted potatoes (as per my picture). Go see Rachel for further (and better) details. While I love it with the potatoes – like cheese,
there is little that potatoes doesn’t improve - I like it just as much on its
own, and in fact have of late been side-stepping the potato element and just
having stuffed tomatoes, with extra baked risotto on the side. Also, I tend to eat them more or less
straight from the oven – who can wait hours for food?. Finally, I find that
while large ripe tomatoes are, of course, better, the dish works perfectly adequately with
crappy-English-supermarket-October tomatoes.
You Need (for 4):
- 8 large tomatoes
- A handful of fresh basil, shredded
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- A few tablespoons of grated Parmesan
- About 8 – 10 tablespoons of risotto rice
- Salt and pepper
- About 10 tablespoons / 100ml of extra virgin olive oil
Cut a lid off the top of each of the
tomatoes, then using a mixture of your fingers, a spoon and a knife, scoop out
the innards. You want to be left with
the tomato shell. Be careful not to
split / cut through the bottom of the tomatoes. Sprinkle
a bit of salt on the inside of the tomato shell and turn upside down to drain. (Leave
the lids to one side.)
Put the tomato flesh into a large
bowl. Rachel recommends blitzing it with a blender, but I found it quite therapeutic
– in a slimey, disgusting sort of way – to break it down with my fingers. (What
can I say? As we now know, I happily
pick dog-shit off my clothes).
Mix the smoothed tomato guts (see
how many ways I can describe it??) with the basil, garlic, cheese, rice and
olive oil. Add quite a bit of salt – the
rice will need it – and pepper. Then
leave to sit for about 30 - 45 mins.
Turn your oven on: 200c / 400f / Gas6
Put the tomato cadavers
cavaties on a greased baking tray / in a greased oven-proof dish and fill each
one to about ½ - 2/3rds with the rice mix.
Top with a tomato lid. Dot the
rest of the rice around the tomatoes, and sprinkle with some more olive oil.
Stick in the hot oven for about
40 minutes or so. Either eat immediately – as a side or on it’s
own (with bread and butter, yum!) or make like an Italian, and allow to cool to
room temperature.
THAT IS IT. Yes, a bit of faffy waiting around during the
prep, but once in the oven, the rice and tomatoes cook themselves. Leaving you time to massage Regaine into your
head, have a quick weep, then steal your toddler daughter’s hair-clips.
Ps:
Big thanks to the wonderful and brilliant Emma for reminding me about
the return of David Sedaris to Radio 4 this week, which in turn reminded me
that the poo wasn’t actually the highlight of the week really. Listen, people, and weep with laughter. (And then vow to reinstigate 1950s (or 1980s,
if you’re Irish) parenting “methods” to your own unruly offspring.)
I hope to never suffer the same travails as you (seriously, have never wanted children and though it is OBVIOUS that you love and truly delight in yours, I know I don't have it in me), I do hope that I can walk away from anything life has to offer with the same wit and good humor. Well done you, even if you didn't win the award and even if you did suffer a bit of a hair trauma (we've all been there. Mine was in 8th grade when a friend took me to a high end salon and I said "long enough that I can put it up and no bangs because I have a bad cowlick on my forehead". Mother fucker cut my hair far too short and gave me FRINGED bangs. My brother, Teacher, rightly pointed out that I had a constant football helmet on. But I suppose it wasn't too bad, what with it not being based on a serial killer and all.
ReplyDeleteI have the same parenting map, does yours also have lots of villages called Hope?
ReplyDeleteSimply, there is little good humour eminating from me these days, but pleased that I am successfully pulling the wool over people's eyes. (Maybe that's what I should have done with self, instead of getting my hair cut). Laura - yes, my map is littered with places called Hope, but most are either mirages, or else are teeny one-hoss hamlets which never offer what they promise...
ReplyDeleteWool successfully pulled and I hope that whilst writing your lovely posts that you get some respite from "All the Ugly". You do a damned fine job. All I have to counter with is making absurd t-shirts making fun of my chronic and incurable disease. Seriously, sometimes the best fun is making as much fun of a situation as possible. You, my dear, are the grand dame of that!
DeleteLove the cursing blackbirds.
ReplyDeleteonly one was cursing. suspect she was the mother of all the others (she looked a bit haggard...)
DeleteI have a horrible image in my head of you messing about with those tomatoes having forgotten to wash your hands. I'm sure you'll win something next year.
ReplyDeleteBest Institutionalised Parent, most probaly...
DeleteMy 5yo keeps saying in public "I'm going to say the F-word! F! U! N!" He knows perfectly well what the F-word is, he's just pushing us to the edge and punishing us for telling him not to use it as we liberally scatter it amongst our own phrases. It's the venom which he manages to spell 'fun' with that amazes me, he actually sounds like he's swearing. Memo to self, stop taking him out in public (obv. preferable to me actually giving up swearing, which is an impossibility.)
ReplyDeleteSwearing is the only thing we have left to call our own. Drinking? Severely curtailed. Staying up late? Don't be silly. Personal space? hahaha. So swearing it is...
DeleteOne of my children once told me that Noddy was naughty, he had just said shit on the telly! I assume he actually said "sit" but maybe he was having a bad day.....
ReplyDeleteWas is the episode where he's in charge of two children intent on clawing each others' eyes out? In which case I admire his restraint!
DeleteI cannot believe that you are having a baby in ten days. Simply cannot believe it. Oh my god. If I were you I'd be ROLLING in shit, fingerpainting the walls with it, cackling to myself and drooling. A little smear on the jeans/hand is NOTHING.
ReplyDeleteBaby? What are you talking about?? (have adopted total and utter denial as survival method)
DeleteOh my god, you are due THAT soon? It seems just yesterday that you admitted to the inevitable! I need to stop reading your blog because you are making me see how fast time flies. No wonder I'm drinking warm milk and going to bed at 8PM. I'm aging in fast forward!
DeleteGood luck good luck good luck! As soon as you're done, leave the kiddos at home and come to the mid west of the US and I'll wrap you in warm blankets and ply you with Side Cars (I got this really good recipe from someone on the web :P )
ReplyDelete