Revulsion
(Part I)
I learnt the hard way that it’s best
not to leave a newborn’s recently-filled nappy in a small room beside a warm
radiator. There is a reason Diptyque
don’t produce a candle called “Milky Shit”.
Revulsion
(Part II)
My stomach has, more or less, gone
down completely. Which is not the cause
of celebration it should be. For what
was, for the past few months, taut and rounded, is now... flabby and
saggy. With a great big balloonous naval
protruding from the middle, eye-fucking me every time I catch sight of it. And still my pre-pregnancy clothes don’t
fit. I suspect I’ll be in these Godawful
maternity clothes until the end of time. Tho at least the elasticated panel keeps my
belly-button in place.
Impatience
The Girl has self
potty-trained. Which doesn’t suit me at all. Remember this? Now throw
a newborn into the mix. So she yells: “I
need a weeeeeeeeeeeee...” and I yell back: “GO IN YOUR NAPPY!” To get me back for this
she has perfected the art of the night-time-nappy-removal. Luckily, she doesn’t poo at nighttime, but I
guarantee that that’s not from lack of trying on her part.
Efficiency
(quickly followed by Stupidity)
I actually found time to do some
Christmas shopping this week – Santa presents only. I got home with them on
Friday evening, dumped them on my bed to properly see what I’d bought (it was a
shopping smash-n-grab, the deadline of childcare looming over me) then promptly
lay down on top of them and fell asleep. 12 seconds into this unintended
slumber, the Boy came gambolling in, and – I imagine – stopped dead in his
tracks, before letting out a shriek of
unadulterated joy: “What is that? And
THAT?” (I assume he was referring to the cuddly-toy-hot-water-bottle
thing. Or the wall stickers. The dolly / dinosaur clothes perhaps? Or the dolly herself / dinosaur himself?) I
woke, and as is the norm these days, my body engaged immediately and, without
even fully realising what was going on, I shoved the presents under the duvet
and the Boy out of the room in under a nano-second, then fell back asleep. The Girl is currently given to climbing under
my duvet, which she did 4 seconds later, and so the discovery, the shriek, and the subsequent shoving, were
all repeated.
So now I have to redo the Christmas
shopping (albeit online, as my childcare days are very numbered [see "Panic", below]), because
I can’t imagine I’m going to be able to get away with producing already-seen
gifts on Christmas morning. (Anyone want
a fluffy hot water bottle?)
Irritation
The Germans – with their brilliance
for having a specific term for every occasion – have a word called
“ear-worm”. It’s refers to the
unpleasant experience of having a tune burrowing it’s way into your inner ear,
on a loop. This has been my
earworm since my sister turned it on for the kids last week. Worse:
the Man, on hearing it, changed the “Where’s” to “Spank”, so not only do I have earworm, I also have
porn earworm.
Panic
Forget the monkey being beside the
tv / under the table / behind the door; the monkey is on my back. The
maternity nurse leaves in the morning. For
good. This knowledge has been my own personal
hairy little back-dwelling primate for the past few days. All attempts to ignore it as its spindley
little paws grasp tighter and tighter around my throat have failed. I’ve done everything I can think of to
minimise the trauma: organised a
car-pool for the Boy’s nursery run (note to self to remember to tell him about
that in the morning); stocked up the freezer (almost entirely with left-over
risotto, teeny odds and ends of it in super-model-sized portions); sent a hysterical
late-night text to the kids’ babysitter (“HOW MANY AFTERNOONS CAN YOU DO NEXT
WEEK?” I roared in capitals, in case she failed to understand the chronic urgency)... But I can’t
dodge the inevitable. In twelve hours I
shall be the primary carer for three very young children.
Christ.
Jealousy
I am entirely devoid of artistic (or
indeed any) talent. This doesn’t sit terribly well with the tendency I have to
be poisonous towards anyone who excels me in anything. So it surprises no one more than I that I
should have chosen – and, amazingly, been accepted by – an incredibly talented
artist as one of my closest friends.
She’s exhibiting her latest work this week, so if you happen to be Central
London on Wednesday or Thursday and fancy seeing some really quite amazing art,
pop by for a gander. Tell her I sent
you. As well as meeting one of the loveliest people you will ever meet in your life, you’ll be
welcomed with hard drink, tall tales (ask her about the time she taught Sean
Connery and Ronnie Wood to play the spoons) and beautiful paintings. I defy you not to leave feeling bitter and
poisonous too.
Stupidity
Part II (quickly followed by Revulsion Part III)
In a bid to have some sort of food
fodder for you all, I resolved to try one new recipe a week. I thought I’d kick off with a Beetroot and
Feta Tart. Having never cooked with raw
beetroot before (I just couldn’t be arsed), I decided I’d kill birds with stones.
It was a masterpiece of cack.
What should have looked like this:
What should have looked like this:
...ended up looking like this:
Mmmmm........ In fact just looking at it is making me feel a bit sick. (That's not, however, vomit on the top of it - just bits of raw pastry I picked off the counter; having dropped the fucking thing and destroyed the pastry shell, I had to get creative and went for that well known delight, Beetroot Crumble...)
But my ham-fisted cockery aside, it was still completely blah. In fact I won’t even bore you with the details, unless you really want to know what happens when you combine onions, potatoes, cream, raw beetroot, bits of reclaimed pastry, and a mountain of cheese. (It tastes much like you’d imagine pink cheesey mashed potato topped with lumps of raw dough does).
But my ham-fisted cockery aside, it was still completely blah. In fact I won’t even bore you with the details, unless you really want to know what happens when you combine onions, potatoes, cream, raw beetroot, bits of reclaimed pastry, and a mountain of cheese. (It tastes much like you’d imagine pink cheesey mashed potato topped with lumps of raw dough does).
So, no recipe. But a litany of experiences that I think we can all learn from, no?
My children keep asking why I'm laughing out loud. I love your blog. Congrats from Georgia (U.S.) on the Grubette. She is adorable.
ReplyDeleteThank you SJ. She's pretty adorable. Even if she does wake the dead with her screeching.
DeletePorn earworm. Priceless.
ReplyDeleteIt's still there, Anon- more than a week on. Gah.
DeleteThe song is bad enough. The song with the video is almost unforgivable.
ReplyDeleteSome of the Santa gifts here are in a bag in the middle of the living room. I am going on the 'Purloined Letter' theory that they will never snoop into something in plain sight. I may also be just tempting fate to prove myself a bad Santa that should never play Santa again and wait for the husband to declare me as such so I can tell him that he is welcome to do it from now on.
Does The Girl strip down naked in the middle of a gathering at the neighbor's house, wandering completely bare ass naked into the living room? And then a week later do a Pants Off Dance off with one of her little boyfriends in the middle of the classroom? No? Or not yet? Choose your answer wisely.
PS - I would love a fluffy hot water bottle. My toes are chilly as I type.
H - the Girl has been "clothes, optional" for the past 6 months - ever since coming back from that bastion of liberalism, western Florida - so isn't really able to strip down, given that she's buck naked almost all the time.
DeleteWhat do you British folks call trundle bundles? You know, the pajamas with feet that zip up the front. Put them on your daughter backwards. The diaper will stay put all night.
ReplyDeleteA cunning plan, thank you. I'm sure she'd find a way out, devious little wench that she is, but I'll give it a go anyway and report back.
DeleteKaren they are called onsie's (pronounced wonsies) over here and even all the teenagers are wearing them, in fact i saw an older teenage girl doing her shopping in one on Saturday!!!!
ReplyDeleteoooh, grown-up sized onsies - I like the sound of them. Day and night-wear all in one - and fashionable too!
DeleteHow many times can people say to you "thank god its not only me"! But really, we are all laughing our (now saggy) tits off with you! So much to love - Porn Earmworm. Eye fucking naval. Beetroot crumble. I've just looked again at the photo of the upsidedownbeetrootstuff and am crying again....
ReplyDeleteDelighted that it gave someone some enjoyment! The Man just looked pale when I presented it. It was a very pretty colour however. If you like lurid purple.
DeleteYou're awesome. Seriously. Wish I could make you a dinner.
ReplyDeleteMegan, come to sunny SW London ANY TIME. The oven is being pre-heated in readiness for your arrival...
DeleteEffing Monkey. And wow, Dede's paintings are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteAren't they? They give me goosebumps. And honestly, not that expensive at all. I actually went to her opening night! I felt completely liberated, and vowed to leave the house at least once a week. (then I got home and was up* 6 times during the night, so all good intentions went out the window.) (*with the children, lest anyone think I was up puking from drunkeness, or similar. God, I wish.)
DeleteI love those paintings more than I can say, they're incredible. I wish I could see them in person. Er, dog.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid to click on the earworm, truly. I'd eat a dozen beetroot crumbles first.
Click! It's actually really quite enjoyable (in a mad, pre-school sort of way). And anyway, you can block earworm by burying your head in soil for 20 minutes a day.
Delete