Wednesday, 5 December 2012

In Praise of the R-Word


We worship at the altar of Gina Ford in this house.  I LOVE Gina Ford.  Love her.  If it wasn’t for her, my life would really be a whole lot more shit than it already is. (For anyone unaware of the deity that is GF – she’s a Scottish maternity nurse who wrote one of the first get-your-baby-to-sleep books [The Contented Little Baby Book], way back in 1999.) I will extol its virtues to anyone who cares to listen – and many who don’t -  because it flipping works wonders. 

Unfortunately, it’s clearly meant for parents who don’t have anything to do other than dedicate themselves wholly to their baby’s routine.  (Again for anyone not familiar with it:  it sets out a series of daily timetables, depending on your baby’s age, accounting more or less for every moment of your day.  The idea is that you can flick to the relevant section at any time and determine what you / your baby should be doing at that precise moment.)  So it will come as little surprise to learn that this time round, I’ve been a bad, bad disciple.  

Take, for instance, the 7am instruction:
Baby should be awake, nappy changed, and feeding, no later than 7am.

Alternatively... Baby should have woken up at 5am, SCREECHING, had the milk equivalent of a Full English (with extra fried bread), and passed out on top of you at 615.  Mother and baby should both be sound asleep, and only the shouts and roars of irate small people in the house will rouse them, comedy-style, at 735am.  

And the 8am:
Don’t forget to have your own breakfast and a drink by 8am.  Wash and dress baby, remembering to cream all his creases and dry skin.

Alternatively...
Put some toast in the toaster for yourself at 8.15, while simultaneously stirring porridge and yelling at the now-insane-with-hunger small people to GET-OFF-HER-HOW-MANY-TIMES-DO-I-HAVE-TO-TELL-YOU.  Leave the toast sitting there for the remainder of the day, while you get weaker and weaker, until your brain starts to melt, to the extent that you actually consider turning it into breadcrumbs before getting a grip and chucking it in the bin at 4.30pm. Leave baby in her pyjamas for the second day running – it’s only a bit of milky-vomit after all.  Check for obvious visual signs of neck-cheese, then feel bad and do a smell-check also.  While you’re gagging, run a wipe around her neck, then behind her ears for good measure.

8.50am, 9am & 945am:  Check his nappy and draw sheet and close the curtains. Settle the drowsy baby, half-swaddled and in the dark with the door shut, no later than 9am. He needs a sleep of no longer than 45 minutes. [At 9.45]...[o]pen the curtains and unswaddle the baby so that he can wake up naturally.

Alternatively...
Peg it upstairs with your hysterical, exhausted baby some time after 9am.  Swaddle the bejaysus out of her because she’s bucking like a sick horse, stick her in her cot and bung a soother in her mouth to calm her the fuck down. Wonder, as you do every day, what a draw sheet is.  Peg it back downstairs to where your 2 year old has found the hidden jar of Vicks Vapo-Rub, and has Vapo-Rubbed it all over her collection of cuddly toys, the kitchen floor, and her hair.  Gnash your teeth and mutter like a deranged woman, before setting about cleaning it up. At 10.20am glance up at the clock, give a roar and peg it back upstairs; yank the sleeping baby out of her bed and race backdownstairs.  Weep when you see that your 2 year old has been “helping” with the clean-up.

And so the day unravels... However, notwithstanding these slight variations to the routine, it still works. Seriously.  Despite having a newborn, you can actually plan your day. (My plan generally goes like this:  Stay indoors.  Put on a dvd and throw food at the children at regular intervals).  And, at some point – sooner, rather than later - you get treated to a relatively good night’s sleep. 

But is she contented, I hear you all ask;  does it do like it says on the tin?  Well, judge for yourselves:



Or maybe she’s just happy because she found, and ate, all the pies...




23 comments:

  1. Hope you're getting spoilt for your birthday (well, in 10 min)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ms 4! Suspect its going to be just another day... But now I'm older and wiser and surely better placed to manage my brood, no??

      Delete
  2. Little Miss CutiePants is laughing at me because her mother makes kids that sleep during the day.

    But I know what a draw sheet is and I'm not telling.

    (If I had stabbed as many people that deserved it who happily chirped the unsolicited advice "sleep when the baby sleeps!", there would be a dropping population crisis worldwide.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Mrs. Launderer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. What a beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, a very happy birthday to you! In honor of this festive occasion, I will leave the house this evening and have multiple cocktails, thinking of you and your napping children all the while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. she is beauuutiful!!!! smiley happy person. hope they all give you a break (and huge presents!) on your birthday Dxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for bday wishes. We celebrated by welcoming the Girl's old friend, the winter chest infection, into our home (and her lungs). Not many cocktails being drunk here tonight, but we're hopeful for 2017...
    Heather - they don't so much sleep during the day as get bound and gagged and stuck in a dark, soundproof room, with no monitor. I've no idea if they actually sleep or not, nor do I particularly care. Enjoy your drinks, and please have (at least) one - a Sidecar - for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Grubette is BEAUTIFUL! I did Gina the first time round, then it all went a bit tits up but she definitely helped in the beginning. And can I just add, you've just had your third baby and you made potatoes daupinoise. Please don't ever tell my husband you did that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Dreadful news about the winter chest infection, though. But goodness that is a fat, delightful, beautiful baby! And so good natured, too!

    Just reading about what's-her-face Baby Guru makes me break out in a cold sweat, I must confess. I am really really bad at taking direction. Though binding and gagging the babies and throwing them in a dark soundproof room...hmmm. Hard to dispute the wisdom of THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am crying with laughter here at the last photo and your comment! You are a true blogging genius and never fail to put a smile on my face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was Living Down Under7 December 2012 at 16:17

    Happy Birthday!

    The bub is very cute! How quickly they grow out of the scrunchy new baby to smiley, chubby, gorgeousness.

    And why on earth would you wake up a sleeping baby? That's just crazy talk!


    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder I like you so much, you are a Sagittarius! One of my best girlfriends shares your day and when we lived near one another, we owned this week (her 12/6, me 12/8). Happy Birthday!

    Your baby is darling. I didn't realize they had expressions this young but then, what I don't know about babies could overflow the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Reluctant Launderer8 December 2012 at 11:05

      Yes, we are the best. although perhaps given to impatience occasionally (ahem) and a tendency to think that the grass is greener somewhere else...
      Happy happy birthday Cat, hope you have a wonderful day. xxxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I had a pretty great birthday weekend. However, I don't think I'd have had any stickers added to my GBS. High light was opening a bottle of cheap champagne... and having the cork explode and knock me right in my glasses, popping out the lens. I now have two pairs of glasses, both broken. But I didn't lose my eye.

      Delete
  13. I keep coming back to have a peek at the chubby, smiling baby! I'm not even really the broody sort to make a huge fuss about babies, but there's something really impish about the first picture that just charms me silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. She's worked her charm on me too. And, the biggest surprise of all, on her brother. Apparently he loves her "ore than anything at all. Except santa. And presents. And sweets. And..." [at this point the list just kept getting longer. I, however was NOT on the list, so have locked him in the shed until he remembers who he REALLY loves, and why.]

      Delete
  14. Your daughter is so gorgeous!! almost makes me want to put another bun in the oven but my hubby has had the snip so it might be, cough, difficult! Love your blog makes me giggle and remember the baby sick scented days and nights when I had wee ones. Pop over for a cocktail if you have a moment www.cocktailsatnaptime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord - Emma Kaufmann? I make you giggle?? This has to be the best thing that has happened to me all day. (We'll ignore the fact that I've spent the day in A&E with the baby...) I would ADORE a cocktail. Throw one my way please. Anything at all. Just make sure it's at least 75% proof. (For anyone who doesn't know, EK is a fantastic author - I'm incredibly incredibly flattered that she reads my blog!) Bless you deary for cheering up this old mammy. As for Cocktails at Naptime - I CANNOT BELIEVE you and Gillian have never met. Madness. (I've just told husband to get me the book for Christmas. I'll get around to reading it in a few years.) xx

      Delete
  15. Ohhh... a blog about cocktails and napping! Would I be rude to ask for actual cocktail recipes? Because if there's one thing I need more of, it's cocktails. I'll be right over!

    I actually popped over to ask our hostess to do a new post because I have obviously run out of blogging steam ages ago and I need some light in my day.

    Thank you in advance,
    Love,
    Your margarita drinking super-fan
    Until I ran out of sour mix
    And now it's more like an orange and tequila shake
    But whatever works

    (Too tipsy to try and make that into a haiku)

    ReplyDelete