One of the nice things about the
kids getting older is discovering what they like to do, and are good at (in
addition, that is, to making noise and mess, beating each other with any
objects in arm’s reach, and following me to the toilet
(“Whatchya doooning Mummy?”) whereupon they stand on my feet and offer to help “wiping
your big bum, Mummy”). The Girl loves gymnastics, homemade
pesto, and 1990’s House Music. The Boy
loves prawns, hiding in very small air-tight containers, saying “Huh?” at the end of every sentence in the very
annoying voice of a very bored teenager, and Michael Jackson (“the poor man who
died because he was so lonely he ate all his medicines”). He also loves Go Fish – or more specifically,
winning at Go Fish.
To every Yin, there is a Yang. The Girl hates the Boy teasing her about
seeing her bum / knickers every time she does a headstand; she also hates not being allowed to eat the
entire bowl of pesto, and my attempts to teach her to dance like a proper raver
(“Open your eyes REALLY wide”). The Boy
doesn’t like shell-on prawns (because I made the mistake of telling him they
looked like cockroaches), passing out, me calling him Kevin, or my attempts to
teach him to dance like MJ (“Keep the glove ON”).
He also does NOT like losing at Go
Fish. I discovered this for the first
time yesterday when I made the terrible mistake of actually winning. It really was a mistake – I had intended to
let him win, just as I always let him win, but I kept getting all the right
pairs and before I knew it, I’d won the whole lot and he was sitting red-faced
and pouty, arms folded, bottom lip sticking out. He then threw the cards on the floor and
stomped off, shouting in his wake that it was my fault I’d won, and if I had
shuffled the cards differently, then he would
have won. Two hours later he was still banging on about the injustice of
it all, how if I hadn’t set out the cards the way I did I would NEVER have won and,
frankly, we was never speaking to me again (“not EVER, huh?”).
I dread to think how he might react
when he hears my Big News... I won something!
This is remarkable because I never
win anything. I once won a large box
of chocolates when I was about 11, but they arrived on the first day of Lent,
just as I’d given up sweets for forty long days, by which stage they’d been
eaten by “mice”. Since then, nada. And then earlier this week, the lovely Helen,
font of all wine-knowledge, drew my name
out of a hat (actually her brilliant mother did – watch it here) and
Ta-Da! Soon I will be the proud owner of
a very lovely-sounding cashmere scarf (Yes!
Cashmere! It will be the softest
thing the kids have ever rubbed their filthy paws on) AND a copy of Helen’s
fantastic wine book.
Except as you know, I am already the proud owner of her
book. So, I’m going to give it
away to one of you lot. Just say hello* in the comments box below, and I will then get the Boy to pick a name from a hat (“what’s the whole point
of a hat, huh?”); if Lady Luck likes the cut of your jib, a copy of the Knackered
Mother’s Wine Club will be YOURS**.
(*Alternatively, feel free to use the comment box to make me feel marginally better about my children's behaviour by telling me the most irritating thing(s) your's have done this week. Note that comments are restricted to a few dozen examples...)
(**Note - You don't actually have to be a mother (or father), knackered or otherwise, to either enter the comp or enjoy the book.)
(**Note - You don't actually have to be a mother (or father), knackered or otherwise, to either enter the comp or enjoy the book.)
Im the exhausted owner of a puppy..but my dear neighbor has two young children and I'd love to win this book for her.
ReplyDeleteWe also had a tantrum last night because I accidentally won Frustration (very aptly named game). I tried explaining that he was supposed to say 'Well done' but he just snatched the game away & started playing himself (at least he won.
ReplyDeleteI would love to win the book - if I'm allowed
The major annoyance at our house has become the evil video game. Older boy has taken to bouts of histrionics when the games are turned off, and as such has lost all gaming privileges for days at a time. I knew what I was signing up for when I married my gamer husband, but I never DREAMED I would lose my children to the beast at the tender age of FOUR!
ReplyDeleteLove your writing, and find your stories absolutely delightful! Hang in there!
I only have the one little son and he won't let me out of his reach, lest he throw a tantrum. It's very hard to serve up my special fried food dinners with a toddler clinging to you. I suppose I *could* hold him while playing with hot oil but it just doesn't seem wise...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Hi!
Candace in Reno, NV, USA
Oh, I'd have to say the blood all over my shirt, acquired during a tantrum-inspired fit of face-banging on the stairs. And hello! And thank you for every time you post, because I check at least once a day!
ReplyDeleteCan my name be entered as Cat Woman?
ReplyDeleteI don't have children but one of the more horrible things I did when I was wee was something to do with my father's contact lenses (the old school hard ones, which I now wear). Apparently I chucked them or flushed them or something but all I would say regarding "daddy's eyes" was "I will never tell you." And then I would focus really hard on Mr. Rogers.
Yesterday, L (the 5 year old) left her boots at school (we live in Scotland, and it's March: boots are required for the walk to and from. Shoes get changed into once you're there).
ReplyDeleteI should mention that L leaving something at school is not an uncommon occurrence.
This morning, she asked what she should wear instead so I said her wellies. I then realised that we had swimming straight after school today and dealing with two pairs of boots plus all the rest of her stuff, plus her three small siblings, plus all their stuff, plus the swimming things was possibly a straw too far for this particular camel so I changed my mind:
"No L, on second thoughts, it's a nice day, you can wear your shoes today"
L preferred, apparently, to wear her wellies, and the ensuing "debate" ended with her screaming in my face, me screaming in hers, my blood pressure reaching hitherto unimagined levels, two of three three siblings in tears, her wellies in the bin (I fished them out later) and, I am proud to say, her wearing her shoes (and not just because her wellies were in the bin).
And that was all before 9 am.
Do I win?
You definitely deserve to win something. A large bottle of gin, perhaps
DeleteNo matter what, I'm sending you wine, PlanB x
DeleteDo gin and wine mix? Tempted to try...
DeleteTheir bedtime disobedience and general inertia. Really annoying, huh?
ReplyDeleteMy eldest is 21 next month and has asked for an advance on her birthday money to buy tickets to see Neil Young ("it's probably the last chance I'll have to see him"). Neil Young!!! I brought her up to a sound track of the Clash, where did it all go so very wrong? The other is 18 and has a nasty habit of saying "you can go now" if she gets fed up with my company (even if I am in my own damn kitchen cooking. Enjoy the innocent juvenilia while you can, the older versions will be soul destroying. (Don't worry about entering me in the draw as I have already bought the book on your earlier recommendation - I just needed to get the above off my chest).
ReplyDeleteSusan
My children do not enjoy losing, either. They are getting better, as DH doesn't believe in letting children win. Luckily, Super Mario Smash Brothers has adaptive difficulty, so Child 1 does win occasionally. Also, most of their board games are luck-based. Ooh, except for the cooperative one called First Orchard by HABA. Highly recommend it!
ReplyDeleteHmm, most irritating thing children have done... Child 2 has pooped in his under wear a little bit, randomly, about 75% of the days in the past 4 months. He's 3.5 yrs old, and has been potty trained since about 2.25 yrs old. The doctors aren't concerned, and believe he's getting too caught up in his playing to listen to his body (which is possible). I used to get angry, now I really have to be zen about it, or I'd go mad.
Child 1 has a tantrum if all his jeans are dirty, and there are only sweatpants in his closet. (He is 5, for Pete's sake!) I have a problem with laundry. Putting it away is a major sticking point for me. So now, when C1 complains about laundry, I have him switch the loads around and put clean stuff in his closet.
Me me me! I don't have any kids so no stories to tell but I've been wanting the book for a while now.. :)
ReplyDeletehmmmm - not annoying, but every time the kid rips a fart (he's 4, almost 5), he takes the biggest, nasally inhale (think the way one might appreciate, oh...say, the aroma of fresh baked bread, via the nostrils), and exclaims, "mama, do you smell dat?", with eyes lit up, wondrous and delighted. and i nod and smile, like, "uh huh, honey - sure do!" but inside, i'm like - fucken great. my kid is THE fart sniffer. awesome. CAN'T WAIT TIL KINDERGARTEN. so, yeah.
ReplyDeletelove yer words - i'm knackered as all hell, but you always make me laugh.
Hello! my highlight this week has been my 7 yearold super-gluing the contents of the penny-jar onto my kitchen floor. Apparently it was a "joke".
ReplyDeleteI'm not trying to be in the drawing for the book, as I actually can't stand wine, but I did want to share the antics of my young nephew, who thinks he's very crafty. When he recognises that he's losing in a game, he starts trying to engineer in all sorts of new rules to ensure his victory. It's particularly amusing to watch him try to pull this trick with friends his own age because they're equally wily, and it usually ends in a sort of 3-foot-tall unarmed standoff. When he tries it on his older brother or sister, depending on their moods, they either humor him, or outwit him, which usually results in a towering temper and general playroom unrest.
ReplyDeleteSo yeah, I reckon your boy's reaction to losing is pretty normal for a kid his age.
Me Me Me Please! I haven't won anything. Ever. I was going to enter a Pi Day contest today by baking a quiche last night, but that didn't happen thanks to my nearly 2 year-old's epic meltdown/demonic possession. She was so "angry" at me, that she picked up her Fisher Price telephone to ring daddy (who wasn't home) and proceeded to "call" Daddy asking for help. This awesomeness (as I was laughing on the inside) was followed by snarling and spitting and lots of finger pointing and No, No, NO!s. It was quite the treat!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if it's just my narrow experience, or if there's a broader generalization here, but the small boys I have known have had a much harder time learning how to lose without making everyone sorry games were ever invented in the first place than their female counterparts. I mean, no one enjoys losing, but I was slack-jawed at the apocalyptic responses of the two boys I'm thinking of. And they are/were otherwise angels.
ReplyDeleteIn my humble opinion, it's the first child thing. They are perfectionist who are born a winner at every competition. At least, this is what we see in our house.
ReplyDelete1. Youngest has an enormous cyst in her bottom eyelid which totally looks like she has the funk. She's a screaming scratching tiger when I attempt to put her eye drops in. I can't wait until next week when TSA refuses us boarding a plane because they think we are trying to spread pinkeye country-wide.
ReplyDelete2. Oldest scribbled her homework so it was unreadable and I had to erase it so many times that I had to redraw all of the lines in, while she whined and pouted for 2 nights straight that she hated homework. She left it at home today and it never got passed in.
3. Cake and sprinkles in hair and green paint all over clothes from St. Pat's Day party today? Check.
4. Took them to McDonald's tonight and the guy gave them two different Happy Meal prizes. Of course, this is unacceptable and youngest whined and complained and insisted we have to go back tomorrow to get the one she wants, at which point I laughed in her face. Thanks a lot, drive-thru guy.
5. I had to get a root canal this week and discovered at 4am that Percocet has no effect in removing the sensation of an ice pick being lodged in my face. Didn't matter has he was snoring so loud that the dead were surely waking up. Not child related, still annoying.
6. I always win when I play games with them. Whichever one wins is a braggart and whichever one loses hates the winner and they fight - it's easier when they just hate me and not each other. Besides, my victory dance is better and they should learn from the master of ungraceful winners. In your faces!
7. I'm out of wine and I have to go visit MIL next week. Both children related.
I made it to less than a dozen!
We are also going on a plane in a few days. There are 2 notices up in the kids' nursery, one saying: "There is a case of chickenpox in the nursery" and the other saying "There have been several cases of vomiting bug". Excellent. Because a 10 hour transatlantic flight with THREE children isn't quite fun enough.
Deleteps - You also deserve a bottle of gin. In fact am going to call Tanqueray now and see if I can get a job lot, one for everyone. Gin is the only solution to parenting.
(and pet-raising)
Delete*cough* wine. Wine is the only solution.
Delete(Gin is, of course, just the palate-cleanser for the proper drink...)
DeleteI'm assuming this doesn't count since I don't actually have a child but... I was giving Johan one of his medicines earlier (he's back to three oral medications and an ointment because his wound didn't heal perfectly after his surgery) and, once again, he bit me so hard he left an indent. That was a bit annoying. And although it is reassuring because it means he is doing well, his insistent wheaking at me drives me up the wall.
ReplyDeleteStill, dealing with a GP who had an enucleation of the right eye still sounds preferable to having a toddler who has to have grommets or whatever put into his ears. Drink up, my dear, drink up.
I'd love a book! We are still recovering from last week-end where our 3 years old twins would scream when they wanted something, despite 2 afternoons at the park. What an earache.
ReplyDeleteMy 18 month old is a shouter. All the bloody time. Nothing stops him shouting. I've tried ignoring, shouting back (we were both really red faced at the end of that one) whispering, nothing works! My FIL keeps saying to say "shush" and that works, because it worked once with him. Once! Now he's the freaking expert! Today i get to go see them.
ReplyDeleteAlso, my husband is off work for a week. Which, in theory, is lovely. What will happen is that he'll throw off the routine we have, we'll argue because I'll be stressed, and he'll feel bad. By Wednesday I'll be on the wine.
Not terribly helpful this post, but it's good to get it out!