I’ve been thinking alot recently
about what I like most about parenting, and I realised it is this: hearing my children laugh, preferably together,
without my involvement. (Actually what I like most about parenting, if I’m
honest, is getting through a day without
losing it COMPLETELY, the silence that descends upon the house at about 730pm,
and that first mouthful of wine, preferably a good Meursault. But apart from that, it’s hearing them
laugh.)
And so it was honey-infused balm to
my raging scorched ears on the school run today to hear the two of them,
snuggled together in the bike trailer, giggling like two besotted lovers. The
sun was shining, a gentle pollen-free breeze was blowing, and suddenly, the
stresses of the morning were gone. Not
that the morning was any more stressful than normal: the usual mad breakfast panic, intermittent screeching,
pointless reasoning, search for wallet / keys / hairbrush, shoe-tying
negotiations, protracted fixing of trailer to bicycle, ushering of children
into said trailer, dash back into house to grab smocks / a banana / hair-band,
tie kids in, see the state of their noses, dash back into house, grab toilet
roll, dash back out, round up escaped children, tie everyone in again, realise
I don’t even have time to blow their noses, chuck toilet roll at them, put on
sunglasses and aaaaaaaaaaah! Off we go.
It’s a fairly easy school run, and
one I try to do on the bike when the weather is good. Getting the trailer unfolded, put together
and hooked up is a bit of a pain in the tits, as is the inevitable squabbling
and bickering between the two kids, shoe-horned in on top of each other, but
today was nice once we got to the park. They
started to giggle and laugh, and sounded so delightful
that my heart fluttered a bit and I wondered if this is what parental pride
feels like; and then when others going
past us were laughing in response, I thought:
Yes! It is! And I beamed at everyone, acknowledging my
role in making their day just that little bit happier, with my giggling
offspring sprinkling joy into their lives.
The ride stops being as easy when
you get to the end of the park, where there’s a particularly steep curb that
the effing trailer just WON’T mount; I have to get off the bike and physically
pull the whole contraption manually, and I look and feel like a moron, but
today that didn’t matter because the sun was shining and my children were
making me, and everyone who passed us by, happy. I heaved and grunted and finally, with a
judder, we were up. Turning around to
beam at the kids I saw, stretched out across the park behind us, as far into the distance as the eye could see, the entire roll of toilet paper,
unfurled. This, I realised, as I watched it flapping and whirling in the
wind, while shrieking toddlers ran through it, dogs cavorted in it, and old
ladies tutted and gingerly stepped over it, is
where pride gets you.
Which brings us to the thing I like least
about parenting: no matter how fabulous everything seems, there's always some sort of carnage and chaos bubbling away under the surface.
Priceless! I just wish I had been on foot this morning to see this! xxx
ReplyDeleteThis is so unbelievably PERFECT! You had me clutching my sides and trying very hard NOT to spit my mouthful of water out through my nose (I emerged victorious from this epic battle, in case you wondered).
ReplyDeleteWell, toilet paper IS biodegradable and you had a pleasant ride with your young delinquents. That's all that matters.
Thank you so much for the laugh - that is absolutely classic!
ReplyDeleteSusan
This may be the first time ever I have laughed out loud at a blog! Kudos.
ReplyDeleteI can't compete with that (she typed happily). When they put their heads together, they're evil geniuses!
ReplyDeletePS - my captcha password for posting this was 'destruction'.
I can see it!! Love your stories.
ReplyDeleteSo, you'll give them a roll of toilet paper every morning from now on, right? It seems a small price to pay for such a joyful commute. On the other hand, perhaps you'll be cited for littering one of those days. Better save it for special occasions.
ReplyDeleteSo that was YOU?!
ReplyDeleteOnly kidding. Would have loved to see that though.
That is hilarious. HILARIOUS.
ReplyDeleteHx
Brilliant! And love your writing - am huge big fat new fan!
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Days.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for myself that I've only just found your blog. HUH. It's amaaaaaazing.
I never ever laugh outloud apart from at those Buzzfeed lists but I have been actually cracking up!
And your kiddos, they make the average unwind-the-loo-roll into the loo toddler look totally half-arsed.
Wah, brilliant. Thanks!