Two words: Half.
Term.
Yes. Again. And frankly, the less
said about it, the better. I did, however, manage to cunningly avoid a fair
chunk of it by packing the Boy and Girl off to Sweden with their daddy (“Quality
time”, I assured him, booting them all out the door) and heading to Dublin with
just the Baby for company. How easy are
babies?? I suppose if you are the parent
of only a newborn, you probably don’t think they’re very easy at all, but
borrow my kids for a few days – fuck it, for a few hours – and you’ll soon
realise that one is a piece of piss. I
came back feeling like I’d been at a yoga retreat for a month (the sort of yoga
retreat where you can drink as much as you like [and you like, very very much].)
The rest of the week included the following parenting gems:
- A FORTY MINUTE queue to get into the Natural History Museum*, in the rain, with a shouting angry Boy and a whinging weepy Girl (not to mention a snappy shouty Mummy – my apologies to the queue-jumpers. Actually, I’m not apologising; again I say: FUCK OFF TO THE BACK OF THE QUEUE)
- An ensuing THIRTY-FIVE MINUTE wait to get in to see the Dinosaurs exhibit (the only reason anyone with children goes to the NHM, as far as I can see), the exciting part of which takes 30 seconds to walk past, then you find yourself at the end of a VAST information-laiden space, where the only thing stopping you from fainting on the floor with hunger is the thousands of people and pushchairs and toddlers
- Constant toilet trips through hoards and crowds in museums and play areas, up stairs, around corners, through tunnels, up more stairs... On one memorable occasion (memorable only for its HORROR) someone – an older, (much) bigger boy – bumped into the Boy and made him stumble. “That boy is NAUGHTY!” he roared; “Tell his mummy!” “Shhh, just ignore it, I’m sure he didn’t do it on purpose.” “HE DID! HE COMPLETELY DID!” “Ok fine, well he’s gone now, so let’s just get going.” Except he wasn’t gone, and the Boy, without missing a beat, punched him in the nuts as we walked past, gangster-style. Seeing the kid double over I said – “did you just hit him?” “Yes,” he responded, off-handedly. “He shouldn’t have pushed me”. I am horrified and impressed (begrudgingly) in equal measure.
- A twenty minute walk (drag) in the rain to a cafe, whereupon the Boy dragged me into the toilet and subjected the older woman waiting ahead of us to a lengthy interrogation, culminating in the classic: “have you come in to do a wee or a poo?” Unfortunately, the woman was American and did NOT take kindly to being asked such personal – “impertinent”, she called them – questions. (How do you explain the etiquette of “personal questions” to a stubborn 4 year old? Because I HAVE to do something; this morning he stopped an old lady on the street and asked her why her toenails were so long and why they were poking out of her (crumpled, holey) stockings. ARGH.)
- Hearing the kids’ 5 year old (female) friend shouting “Uuugh, that’s disgusting”, and popping my head into the tv room to see the Boy racing around with his willy poking out over his trousers, saying “Touch it! TOUCH IT! It doesn't hurt!”
- Ignoring both the Girl and the Boy of them for several minutes in a soft play area, then glancing up to find that they had in that time, quite industriously, chucked all of the balls from the ball room and into the middle of the cafe. Have you any idea how many balls it takes to fill a soft-play area? No, I didn’t either. Their arms must have been whizzing like windmills in a storm.
Anyway... it is all over now. In a few days I might even have recovered.
Coming up soon: Legoland (How fucking
brilliant is Legoland? (during the week,
when the sun is shining, and no one is around, obviously)) and the most
delicious, piss-easy pasta recipe EVER. Hold on to your seats.
(*going to the NHM in half term is,
of course, just asking for trouble)
I'm a little offended! I tend to think of our American children as super proficient in the art of impertinent questions. I think my four year old repeatedly asking me of the man in front of us "why doesn't he have hair? Why is he bald? He is baldy, baldy, baldy." would prove to that American biddy that we grows 'em rude right here at home!
ReplyDeleteI have found the only way to deter the rude questions when they start is by tripping said child, then scooping them up screeching "poor baby!" In an attempt to distract them.
Not really, but wouldn't that be awesome?
Laughing out loud at the boy's response to being pushed. And also: yes. One baby is nothing!
ReplyDeletePS: NHM in half term? What WERE you thinking?!
Your son is cool. Double high five from me.
ReplyDeleteYou should video some of this on your phone some time for future reference - watching my (much older now) kids' faces on seeing the evidence of what they did when they were small is priceless. Utterly priceless.
ReplyDelete