Sunday, 8 September 2013

An Announcement...


Dear London

By the time you get this letter, I’ll be gone.  (Actually, I won’t, but it seems appropriate to start with this line.  In fact I’ll just be starting to plan going.  But emotionally, I’m already gone.)

Things haven’t been going brilliantly between us for some time, we both know that.  Really, since the kids were born, we just don’t connect like we used  to.  It’s not you, it’s me; at the risk of sounding like a cliché, parenthood has changed me.  I know I made a pact that nothing would ever change what we had, and I’d stay with you forever, but... well, I’ve moved on. 

I find dealing with you exhausting and draining, and despite what everyone says, I’m not convinced that kids are really for you.  Thinking about it, you are the George Clooney of cities:  good to look at, interesting and fun,  great for a fling, but nothing more. Since the kids arrived, I’ve seen a different side to you: you’re high-maintenance and generally impossibly to navigate.  Also – and I know that this shouldn't really matter, but it does - you’ve gotten bigger since we first got together. I just don’t find you attractive any more.

Plus, in the past few years the way you blow hot and cold all the time has started to grate on me.  I know it was one of the things I used to love about you, but now I need some sort of weather security. Just when I think it’s clear blue skies, the waterworks start.  I can’t do it any more.

I’ve found somewhere else.  It’s like you in many ways, but less frosty, more accommodating, and very exotic. Its name is Singapore.  I'm sure you've heard of it; it has a reputation of being a bit controlling, but I think I can manage that.  I just need to get my affairs in order, and then I’m – we’re - gone.  If it’s ok with you, I was thinking of staying through til Christmas, and then heading off in the New Year.  December has always been fun, despite our growing differences.

A part of me will always love you, London.  We’ve done so much together.  But it’s time for me to go.  The kids need somewhere that allows them to be themselves a bit more and doesn’t close in on them.  And I need the childcare.

Bye. 


RL

11 comments:

  1. Those of us who have never been to Singapore plan to descend upon you, en masse. Consider yourself warned.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow and here I thought you were going to move to the country - you know more space, less smog, etc. A whole OTHER country eh? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your posts on Singapore!
    Had me worried you were hanging up posting...and evil concept.
    Congratulations and good wishes for a smooth move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I don't know why but it makes me sad. Perhaps because I'm staying put in London?
    But enjoy Singapore and keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! This is very exciting. I cannot wait to hear your bemused dispatches from Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that came out of left field (or is it right field? Sports metaphors are not my forte)!

    How exciting! I look forward to the Singapore posts as well as the planning to get to and the nightmare that will be traveling to posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I was reading thinking SHE'S GOING TO SAY THE NEW FOREST! HURRAH! WE CAN GO TO THE PUB BEFORE PICK UP! But no. Singapore. Hooray for you though, what an amazingly exciting development! Need deets. Leaving party?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously! Wow! Very good friends have (annoyingly for you but not for us) just come back after two years, having had a BRILLIANT time. L and I (and the bump that is now M) went to see them and had an equally brilliant time.

    Enjoy.

    Although what you'll call your blog when you have someone else doing the laundry I have no idea...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when did this happen?????

    And not just into the sticks (I wanted you to come my way not KM's) - need details, need email

    Have a safe trip, enjoy - stay around and let us know how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, how exciting! I look forward to hearing all about it. I too was like 'oh shit I just started reading and now she's stopping?!' so am glad it's a relocation :)

    ReplyDelete