I really don’t have the emotional
wherewithall to recount this morning’s adventures. This text to US Prosecutor friend gives you a
notion of it:
It doesn’t really do full justice to
the total and utter pain in the arse I give myself most of the time just by existing. And then, instead of coming home
and having a cup of tea and reading one of the many (many) books I suddenly
have (fabulous, brilliant books - if only they came with a device to stop time
or freeze children (temporarily)(ish)) I
decided to get back in my
roach-infested car and drive the 20 minutes up to the kids’ school with all the
bits and pieces I’d forgotten. (Did they
thank me? Did their eyes light up and their hearts swell? Did they arse.)
HOWEVER. The day was not all turmoil and teeth
grinding and shouting at myself in public places. There was a gorgeous Mummies’ (as in parents,
not preserved bodies) lunch at the Shangri-La, which - as well as great company and good food, and
NO CHILDREN - had the most brilliant Christmas Tree I think I’ve ever seen –
made out of stacks of enormous edible ornaments. Here, look:
And then I came home and discovered
just how easy lasagne making can be. (I’d
give you the recipe, but you need a maid to make the cheese sauce and the
vegetable filling, otherwise it’s just the same old total faff.)
Morning hell aside, I think I may in
fact have had a bit of an ex-patty day. Did
I mention the large gin & tonic while listening to the Reith lectures
earlier? (On the wireless, no less.)
Hey, I listen to the radio all the time! I drove the same car for 11 years and it only had AM/FM stereo. I recently got a 'new' car with a CD player but old habits die hard so I listen to the radio in my car and my apartment.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was cleaning the old car to get ready to sell it, I saw the leg of a giant cockroach as it slipped between the seat and the door. I cannot tell you how traumatized I was and having read your recent posts, I'm extra relieved in retrospect that I only had to drive the thing a few times. I live in Texas. Cockroaches are enormous in Texas.
leaking water bottles is the biggest annoyance about living in hot climates. all my bags are ruined!
ReplyDeleteI feel very lucky to have never seen a cockroach in my car. But with the large amounts of food and sticky stuff to be found in there, they would be very comfortable. Glad the expat life holds some charms, that tree looks incredible. Like a big wedding cake for kids! xx
ReplyDelete