Tuesday, 30 December 2014

In case of emergency, whip out your tweezers

As predicted, it was a beautifully sunny day today, most of which I spent in a dark air conditioned room, applying cold cloths and sympathy to the victims of the ongoing pestilence. It meant however that I could finish the fabulous Station Eleven, which has come in at this very late hour as one of my favourite books of the year. Strangely, if i hadn't got it as a gift I doubt I would ever have read it. I'm not a huge futuristic fan, and the back cover synopsis out me off somewhat. However, it is FABULOUS, and if any of you plan on being cooped up with a sick child in the near future, I highly recommend it as a distraction.
Mind you, it was a bit disconcerting to put down a book about the end of civilisation due to a vicious disease, then find out that Ebola has reached Great Britain. (My recent reading material suggests that you should stock up on water, meds and ammunition. Also, stick to the back roads and avoid weird prophets.)
Other day's highlights include an unexpectedly delicious bagel, when I ventured out with the Girl at lunch (all 1.2m of her shoe-horned into the Baby's pram); an unexpectedly, um, full, child's underpants when my assistance in the toilet was requested (thank you, Bali Belly); and a visit to a motorcycle workshop/skateboard emporium/ cafe full of Indonesian hipsters with the Boy - a teeny slice of Shoreditch here Bali.
Also- the promise of rich pickings in the Boy's ear: something black and putrid-looking had been stuck in there since yesterday at least, my bet being on a dislodged grommet (thank GOD for that, fucking things have been nothing but bother). But an afternoon in the pool has - most disappointingly - thwarted my anticipated lip-smacking tweezer usage. (In fact thinking about it, no survival kit would be complete without tweezers too- pluck your eyebrows and remove gross body bits in one fell swoop!)
Right, I must go and administer paracetamol. I was using my sister-in-law's Spanish brand, which was FANTASTIC - knocked the kids out and killed their temperatures in no time. But then I realised I'd been reading the wrong measurement on the applicator and had - oops - been giving them almost twice the recommended dose... I can't, hand on heart, promise that my understanding of the Bahasa instructions won't go similarly awry, but ignorance is bliss. As is an uninterrupted night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. grommet in ear.... I shall await how and why it was so applied...... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete