You’d never think that I came back
from Europe with great grand plans:
start a large writing project;
try new recipes; work out every day; update my blog every other day. STOP WASTING SO MUCH TIME DOING NOTHING.
But, as it turns out, I don’t in
fact do nothing; I do a LOT of driving
hither and thither, almost exclusively for child-related purposes. Which, of course, is the first cousin of nothing – but not a
relative I can avoid at the moment. It
really is very time consuming – the older 2 to school, the Baby to nursery (24 kms round trip, with the morning traffic and the crap Singaporean drivers to
content with), the Baby from nursery about 20 minutes after I’ve left her, the older two from school about 20 minutes
after that - and set to become more so, if the Girl changes school this year.
Then I’ll have 3 offspring in 3 schools triangulated such that my commute will
cover more or less the entire surface area of Singapore. (“Put them on the bus!”
everyone cries, and I usually do, for the older ones, for the afternoon ride. But I had my suspicions about the morning journeys
– we’re the first pick-up-point of an almost hour-long trip - which were confirmed
when the Boy told me - gleefully – that the bus auntie gave him a bowl – a BOWL!
– to pee in when he just couldn’t hold it in any more. (And who then held the bowl? I wanted to ask.)
Anyway. This is a very long and convoluted excuse for
my absence. I was going to talk about
the summer, wasn’t I? God, it feels like
a hundred years ago. It was great. Especially
the bit where I packed my husband and children and their hired mother off to Sweden
and skipped off to London ALONE for A WEEK. Looking back on it, it feels quite
unreal. Did I really get to leave my family for a whole week? Did I actually go to museums and the theatre and
art exhibitions, and pound the banks of the Thames and have uninterrupted coffees
and lunches and drinks with best friends, and cycle all over and feel like I
was 30 again? Why yes! I did! Isn’t London fabulous? (WITHOUT KIDS, obviously. With kids it’s just one endless day after the
next of expense and obstacles and whining and dragging.)
Before that, we had almost two weeks
in Mallorca en famille, which was also great (but really, can anything top a
week in one of the world’s top cities, alone?) although I overestimated my
capacity to embrace the Spanish laid-backness, and after ten days of shit
service and literally waiting for hours for menus or a coffee or
PLEASEGODJUSTGIVETHEMSOMETHINGTOEAT (don’t these people have children? Don’t they know what happens when they’re
hungry? GIVE THEM A BREADSTICK FOR FUCK’S
SAKE) I decided that I probably won’t be
realising one of my many unfeasible dreams and retiring to a Balearic rural idyll. “Foreigner dies of irritation and thirst
in local cafe”.
Before that, we finished off our stay in Ireland which, despite the best
efforts of the weather, was marvellous. Helped
largely by stumbling upon a DIY sangria recipe which saved my life in the pubs
(I hate beer, and UGGGH, Guinness, and so I spend my time in Irish pubs saying “Ummmmm....
Ummmmm... A gin & tonic?” and then
they take down some manky old gin which their dead neighbour’s great-aunt made
in 1979 to celebrate the Pope’s visit, and I panic and end up with a pint of
Heineken, or GOD, Smithwicks, because I can’t think quickly enough. Here it is:
Order a mini bottle of red wine (it’ll be shit, that’s fine); a brandy,
no ice; a bottle of 7up; and a glass with ice.
Pour half the contents of each into the glass of ice. Drink.
Pour again. Drink again. Fall home, holding on to your octogenarian
father, who did not sign up for this
longevity of child-care. [Warning: it being Ireland, it’ll set you back about
E47, but better than a pint of Smithwicks, no?])
Then Sweden, where I was tearfully (truly! But not the good ones) reunited with my
bairn, and rewarded for my absence by the Boy telling me that sometimes I’m
nicer than Daddy. (Daddy had ground his
teeth down to stumps by that stage and declared that he was never minding them
ever again. Poor Daddy.)
And so we’re home. Where I have amazed myself by cooking a few
things beyond the normal pasta/cous-cous/baked fish repertoire, including the
most AMAZING noodle/salad sauce thing, but I’m beginning to bore myself, so you’ll
have to wait. (Hopefully not two weeks, but never say never.) In the meantime, I leave you with my
favourite image from the summer. The
Girl had her 5th birthday, and included in the gamut of cack received
was this little piece of plastic wonderousness:
Pregnant Barbie! (Actually, the full effect of said wonderousness calls
for three photos.) It should come as no
surprise that Barbie is Too Posh To Push:
Alas, later, there were
complications when the under-age ObGyn placed the baby back in, breach, and the
baby got totally stuck, as did the
revolving stomach, and so now Barbie is forever mid-delivery – which is not a good
look on a child’s toy AT ALL. Although
if it’s a deterrent to pregnancy you’re after for your child, I highly
recommend it.
Loving the DIY sangria almost as much as the Barbie pics x
ReplyDelete