Tuesday, 8 September 2015

I'm running out of time to raise normal (or compliant, or well behaved) children. Gah.

So I got down off my soap box, because I was getting a bit hoarse from all that shouting, and also because the view from up there is really quite depressing.  Not that the view from Ground Parenting is all roses and cupcakes.  The Girl is determined, it seems, to lose all of her personal belongings – or at least anything she brings to school.  The tally so far – three weeks in – is:  two hats,  one shoe, a very nice (also, very expensive) cardigan, a water bottle, a snack box, a lunch box, and an entire ballet kit, including brand new shoes.  My choices are to keep her in the house, or staple all her belongings to her.  Time to go staple shopping I think.  
The Baby, meanwhile, got a taste of the forbidden fruit of co-sleeping (she was sick, I was tired) and so now every night it’s the same old schtick:  “Me sleep with you?”  No.  “Meeeeeeeee sleeeeeeeeeeep with youuuuuuuuuuuuu?” No. “Waaaaaaaaaaaah.”  Last night:  “Me sleep with you last week, ‘member?”  Yes, I ‘member.  But you were sick, ‘member?  She then proceed to gag and retch until she got sick, at which point she triumphantly announced:  “Me sick!  Me sleep with you now!” (No.)
And the Boy – well, where do I begin.  Currently, it’s just dawning on me that, at nearly 7, I am running very short on time to influence his behaviour or personality.  (Anyone familiar with the Jesuits will know what I’m talking about.) Although I should probably admit to myself that this is battle lost long ago - if even ever fought, that is.  He’s e’He’s currently obsessed with world records – mainly those related to something vile or disgusting or vomit-in-your-mouth inducing:  the longest nails (uuuuugh) or the hairiest family (oh yes) or the biggest poo (I was unable to help him with this – cursory glances at the Guinness Book did not include photos of record-breaking poos - but I suggested he or his younger sister could probably be contenders).  In the car, alone with him the other day: 
Him: Who’s the most beautiful woman in the world?
Me (Feigning shock – and, dare I say it – disappointment):  What do you mean?  It’s ME of course.
Him: (Laughing convulsions.  Then squirming with embarrassment.)  Come on Mummy, stop, you know what I mean!
Me:  I don’t know what you mean!  I am the most beautiful woman in the world.
Him:  (More squirming, although the convulsions have given way to something approaching mild panic.  Concern, perhaps, for my senility, or at my disillusion.) Mum!  STOP! C’mon! You know you’re not!
Me:  Huh?  WHAT?
Him:  (No longer laughing;  visibly antsy, in fact.) Mum, SERIOUSLY!  How could you be the most beautiful woman in the world?  You’re all old, and you’ve got brown hair and brown eyes and everything...
Me:  (Quite seriously) Sorry?
Him: You don’t have blonde hair.  Or Blue eyes.
Me:  Oh.

So, great. I have sired (can a woman sire?  Google doesn’t know) an Aryan supremacist.  Although is that worse or better than siring someone who can vomit at will to serve her own needs, or the Child Who Loses Everything?  I dunno.  I give up, in fact.  Here, have my children.  Anyone? 

8 comments:

  1. Mine are awful or I'd offer to trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've "birthed" a boy-child who likes blond hair and blue eyes. His tastes may change when he gets older.

    All children are terrible sometimes, it's up to us to train them to be reasonable human beings. If they're too obnoxious, they'll never get mates and give you grandchildren. Also, you wouldn't want to see them on holidays.

    My two boys have been obsessed with poo, vomited to appear sick, and whined incessantly to sleep with mom. They're pretty good about not losing things. Does she get pocket money? I'd have her pay for the things she's lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "kids" are all aged 39 and up. They still lose things and telephone me to help find the items. I don't even live in the same country but I am apparently psychic. Items lost: expensive purses, a passport or two, sweaters, or often, jewellery. Usually we have to call St. Anthony for advice. Making them pay for things lost never worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this --- made me laugh out loud. Mine are all 27 and upwards -- just acquired first grandchild! --- but this brought back so many memories. Its hard at the coal face but so much more fun than what comes next! It's all worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahaha made me LOL. (I'm so down with the kids.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recommend that you purchase a blonde wig and blue contact lenses and freak your son out. Sorry, can you tell that I don't have children?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, like everyone else this made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Current Evil Mother approach with my girls is that I notionally put £50 each into a jar at the start of the school year and anything lost has to be paid for out of it - rest is theirs come summer holidays to spend on what they want (obviously with guidance and veto from moi)

    ReplyDelete