For some reason, it just never
occurred to me how a cat-litter tray works.
The premise is simple enough, and I’m not totally unintelligent, and
yet... I guess I just didn’t really
think about it. I had a cat growing up (beautiful,
but cold and mean – a feline Hollywood starlet I suppose) so I really should
have known about such things, but living in the suburbs with a large garden at
our disposal, she (along with all the children in the house) was placed outside
from dawn until bedtime, and so no kitty litter was ever required.
This is how it works. You fill the litter tray with eye-bleedingly
expensive recycled paper nuggets, preferably from a near-empty 20L bag which
you had assumed would last until Easter or thereabouts. You sit back for a few minutes until one of
the cats jumps into the tray, kicks away as much of the paper nuggets as it
can, and then sprays diarrhoea all over the base of the tray (and the wall and
the lip of the tray, the roll of toilet paper near by, and one of the many cat
toys [the feline-interest (low) in which is in inverse proportion to its cost (high)].) You
are then supposed to “remove excrement from the tray and dispose of it in a way
which is safe and hygienic” (or so the blurb on the side of the cat litter bag
tells me. The blurb is not clear on
exactly how you remove excrement
which is essentially liquid and which has covered everything in a quarter-metre
radius.)
So basically you have a cat toilet,
and you have to pick the shit out of it every time the shit appears. Because the shit has big clumps of cat-litter
attached to it (and because you might not particularly want to go walking
through your house with it dangling off the scooper thingy), you can’t just
chuck it down the toilet. Nor can you
just dump it in the bin. So instead you have to gift-wrap it in newspaper, then
re-wrap it again in more newspaper,
and dispose of it down your rubbish chute.
As well as being DISGUSTING in every
single way you can imagine, this is also unbelievably time consuming. “Do it once a day!” proud cat-owners advise
me. Well I would, but these kittens are both
prolific in their faeces production and stupid
about where to place their feet, so that shit (literally) gets trailed around
the house unless dealt with straight
away.
What I obviously need are kitty
nappies. Do such exist? (Any Japanese readers here? Because if they
exist anywhere in the world, it’ll be in Japan. )
There are positives of course,
namely that my children’s toilet habits in contrast now seem positively
delightful, AND I love the poor, work- and stress-free hamster (remember him?) more
than ever, AND the cats are basically free child-entertainment. (And yes, they’re cute – especially this
evening when they fell asleep in a heap on top of each other, on top of the internet
router thingy. Swiping at flickering lights
is clearly exhausting.)
I haven’t mentioned the
you-know-whats (braces, if you haven’t been paying attention), and I won’t,
because the other half of my day – the half when I am not picking cat-poo out
of a cat toilet – is spent cleaning or removing or replacing (I got those
Invisalign braces on top) or trying to find some part of my mouth upon which I
can rest my poor ulcerated tongue, and frankly I’m bored with it all.
Let us leave with this happy
thought: in less than 4 weeks I get to
take the Christmas Elf on the Shelf out of hibernation and choose amusing
places for him to be found by the kids
every morning. The kitty-litter tray
might have its uses after all.
Oh god, the cat litter tray. Bane of my life. And now with two puppies, the race to empty the litter tray in the morning is ON.
ReplyDeleteHi! Great post, did make me laugh. Such is the price of those cute photos of cats asleep on routers. A bit like life, the dark underside of all things that appear wonderful are never disclosed and always end up costing you money.
ReplyDeleteI use prem size nappies on the orphan kids (goat variety, not human) and lambs when they need to be inside for night feeds and warmth. Cut a hole for the lamb tail then duct tape round the belly part and over the back, avoiding any fur ;) You can also use that plaster on a strip stuff.
ReplyDeleteKids can have their tails left inside the nappy, you probably wouldn't want to do that with a kitten though. It would be like a shit filled paintbrush when you take the nappy off and extend the fecal radius to a metre at least.
Jess, Sounds like worms. Easy to fix. Check with the vet. (Ask me how I know . ...)
ReplyDeleteYes, please do hotfoot it to the (screamingly expensive, no doubt) vets to make sure that they are worm(etc)-free and then go and buy one of the litter trays that comes with a dome/cover thingy. Think of the walls for pity's sake! - life is waaay too short for having to bleach walls every day!
ReplyDeleteI agree with other commenters on the likelihood of worms. Don't know how you acquired these two; usually a responsible adoption entity will either certify kittens 'successfully wormed" or give you extensive instructions on how to do it yourself. It's not actually difficult just messy, though it sounds as though you already have the mess going on. Cats, even very young ones, normally quickly learn to use the litter box reasonably neatly. I don't deny many of them enjoy kicking as much of the (clean) litter out before they get down to business, but that is what the covered boxes are for. (I do speak from experience; I've had and tended litter for more cats than I can count for more years than I will admit to.) Also: (I'm sorry But) you should have as many litter boxes as cats (PLUS one,my crazy cat-lady friends have always insisted but I have always ignored that myself) One large one might be ok while they are small, but two small ones (preferably with covers) are easier to deal with than one large one, I think. I think the theory is there can be competition around shitting . .Anyway, do get them wormed. Cats are wonderful, both as child entertainment and for the pure sensual enjoyment of their pretty and charming selves. I think. PS: do not under any circumstances allow yourself to be convinced that A DOG would be a better pet for children. Dogs are also wonderful, if you are an inveterate animal sucker as I am, but they are endless work, endless dealing with a three-year-old who never grows up. . .anyway. Can we have a photo of the little wretches, please? (Love your blog)
ReplyDeleteThat's fabulously helpful, thanks Marnie. I got them from the SPCA here and they were certified as wormed, but I will bring them back for a check up. Apart from the constant pooing, they are actually very clean and well trained. Ish. As for a dog - there is no chance EVER of that happening. Well, EVER being for as long as we live in Asia.
Delete