The
Boy got off the school bus a couple of weeks ago and announced that the Girl
had said “the F word”.
When
I recovered from the shock, I asked him which F-word? There is only one, of course, but hope was
springing eternal in this human breast that there might be some others: flip, perhaps, or finance. I used to get away with “frog” as an
explanation for my own outbursts when they were too little to copy me (as they furiously absorbed it anyway, damn sponges). Also, the “S-word” is, to them, “stupid”, so theoretically the “F-word” could be – oh please
God let it be – Flabbergasted.
“Fuck”,
he said.
Oh.
Once I got over the shock of hearing this from the mouth of a babe (he'll always be a baby to me), I spoke sternly to the Girl, telling her that it is unacceptable for a 5 year old
(or, furiously digging my way out of the hole I'd just made, a 6 year old or a 7
year old, or anyone who is not a very very angry, and later remorseful, grown
up) to say that word.
“A_
told it to me” she said. A_ is older, and more worldly, and the recipient of much awe from the Girl.
“Well
A_ should not be saying it either,” I responded, then lectured her some more,
until she looked suitably mollified, and gave her some crap punishment – no after
dinner treat (so, just like every other day then), or similar – and dragged a
pinky-promise out of her that that was the end of it.
(As
an aside, the Boy then asked, in one of our more surreal conversations: “What does fuck mean?” I gave it a moment’s deliberation, then told
him – figuring that it would mortify him into never saying it. This of course back-fired.
“Seriously? That’s what it means?”
“Yup.”
“So
that’s what grown ups say when they want a baby? “Do you want to fuck?””
At
which point I realised that I had just opened a can of very slippery worms
indeed, who were wrapping themselves around my throat, making breathing
difficult.)
Anyway, cut to today - different day, same story. They get off the bus
and the Boy enlightens me as to his sister’s bus etiquette (or lack thereof).
So
she was sent to bed early, her treat for tomorrow’s lunch has been rescinded,
she’s not allowed to bring any toys into school for a week, AND – worst of all –
I’m telling her father. (Not to mention you lot.) She is, as we
speak, crying crocodile tears in bed, and feeling very hard-done by.
So,
dear reader, I would like your advice / guidance / tales of dealing with
similar. I HATE hearing young kids
cursing. She is FIVE. It’s appalling. Also, there are little - and big – kids on the school bus and I
really don’t want my child to be the one teaching them to curse. I can’t keep punishing her every time it
happens (of course it’s going to happen again), because it seems to have
little effect – other than make me feel as if I’m taking proper steps. What have you done when confronted with a
potty-mouthed youngster? Does anything
work? Am I on a hiding to nothing?
I’m...
Flabergasted. Help.
When Hector adopted "for f*cks sake" as his go to cry of frustration (aged 4, WHERE did he get it from....ahem, too much time in the back of the car in London traffic , what can I say), it was excruciating but I found that ignoring it was the only cure in the end. And it did work. Eventually, and after some pretty embarrassing visits to Granny's, church etc .... But you've got nerves of steel Jess, you can do it! I think they are looking for a reaction, so if ignored, no pay-off = no point? Maybe... Good luck!
ReplyDeleteIf she was saying it to me, or just at home, I'd ignore it. But the school bus... Yelling "FUCK" to the other kids? I can't really ignore it. Sigh. (But thanks!)
DeleteI very rarely curse, and though my 3rd grader knows all the bad words he also understands it's extremely rude to use them and will not be tolerated at school or at home. I emphasize politeness a lot, and tell them I'm proud of them for being polite. Lots of praise for good behavior, and constant reminders for slip-ups. The 3rd grader did come home yesterday cursing about a boy at school. I reminded him twice that he can't use that language in front of me. If he wants to curse in his bedroom by himself, that's fine. I think you've handled everything very well so far, and there isn't a whole lot you can do about cursing on the bus. Continue punishing, I guess. I'm sure your boy would be happy to police his sister in the future, though that might make them hate each other.
ReplyDeleteI recently found out my (apparently self-sheltered) TWELVE-year-old didn't know "fuck" had a meaning. She thought it was a nonsense onomatopoeia sort of thing, apparently. So I think your son is lucky to know its meaning before puberty, to be honest.
ReplyDeleteWe were at the cottage with a group of friends, and my 2 daughters were the only children (I had mine younger than most). Elder daughter, age 4, is carrying something out to pack in the car, and drops it on her foot causing some pain. She yells 'Oh Fuck!". Stunned silence. I abandon 2 yo in middle of the room, pick up offending daughter to bodily remove her and quickly exit the cottage to explain, at length that this is an unacceptable word to use. I can hear sustained snickering from all the 'adults' inside as I do so. I have never been so red in my life.
ReplyDeleteTake some comfort from knowing, Sonya, that ALL of your friends are now as green with envy as you were red with shame that you had your kids when you did, filled with energy and weekends away (that's only something the young and energetic can do) and are now on The Home Run. (Actually it's not just your friends who are jealous.)
DeleteMy not quite four year old used effing correctly and in context ... At daycare. I had tried ignoring and calmly saying 'that's not appropriate, but what worked ( so far) was telling him that word really upsets people and the other parents won't let their kids play with him if he says it. Upsetting people is a real reason we don't swear, and not being able to play with kids is a natural consequence, plus it mattered to him. Would a suggestion that Girl may not play with A, or that A's parents would be upset to hear about the swearing, matter more to the Girl? Less a punishment than matter of fact consequence. Oh yeah I had to stop swearing too. Like they used to say 'this hurts me more than it hurts you!' I take comfort that I'm not alone in my rich Anglo Saxon vocabulary though ...
ReplyDeleteThat is a fantastic suggestion, thank you Anon. (Much much better than the Washing Her Mouth Out With Soap I had been contemplating...)
Delete"Put 'im in a longboat 'til 'e's sober."
ReplyDeleteAlso there was an incident when Bug was three where he busted out with 'Jesus Christ on a fucking cross' at the playground and the spouse rightly blamed me. You're not alone.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant. (He could also have been hanging around me, that's one of my usuals.) The Baby yesterday announced I NEED MILK DAMMIT! Which caused me much mirth (and also relief because of course it could have been so much worse.)
DeleteMaybe institute Fry & Laurie's nonsense swears!
ReplyDeletehttp://abitoffryandlaurie.co.uk/sketches/swearing