Friday, 15 April 2016

Bleeding from my sun-sizzled eyes.

As predicted, the multi-school-drop-off mornings are a total PITA, and I am exhausted.  God knows how the Girl – currently lying on her bed, catatonic (although happy and content in her new school, so hurrah for that) – feels. (Apart from sartorially ashamed: she got dollied up in her new school uniform, which is  straight out of the 80’s - the 1880’s - took one look at herself and burst into tears, announcing that she looked like one of Santas’s elves. Which was totally spot on, she did.)  The alarm goes off at some unearthly hour – there is still mist over the trees and the sun is not yet up – and I roll, asleep, out of bed and into the shower.  Then I tiptoe into her room, pick her up – asleep – and dress her – still asleep.  Five minutes later she is in the car, still asleep, seat completely reclined, and off we set.  (To the North Pole, where all the other elves learn how to count.)  
By the time I’m home – usually by 8am – and getting ready for the next interminably long, boring school run, the sun is up and setting about blistering the skin off anyone stupid enough to be out.  It is SO HOT here at the moment.  I actually saw a Singaporean sweat the other day.  That’s how hot it is.  
But it isn’t all hiding from the burning furnace of the outdoors and trying to get the air-conditioning in the car to stop me from nodding off as I hurtle down a motorway.  I have a new project!  Here it is.  I suspect it will only be vaguely entertaining if you are also an expat in Singapore, but come say hello anyway.  We plan on updating it every day, which is not only insane -  because who has the time / energy to try to be amusing 7 times a week?  - but also highly unlikely, because who can text when the sun has singed the ends of their fingers and driving fatigue has them lying in the cats’ basket  beside a fan?  - but swing by and check on us from time to time if you remember.  (It’s planned as part of a longer-term project which we will get around to just as soon as the temperature falls below to 37°, and the kids have left school.) 
Speaking of the cats, I put them on a diet a few weeks ago – because they were getting ridiculously fat and lazy, and if I’m not allowed to be fat and lazy then no one is the house is – and they got all skinny and evil for a while, but now they’re somehow back to being big-boned.  I could not work this out – where are they getting the food? – until this morning when, tip-toing to the Girl’s room I stumbled across the Baby tip-toing out of hers.  It turns out that the one thing I didn’t consider when I moved her into a Big-Girl Bed recently was that she might get up before dawn and go feed the cats, then go back to bed and go back to sleep for a while. 
You see? School-run fatigue.  It’s wrecking my head.


No comments:

Post a Comment