It has been SO LONG since I posted a
blog (on this site; I’ve been religiously posting twice
weekly over here) that even my
own father has commented on my absence.
(This is a man who has been known to distractedly eat a platter of
chicken wings, and then remark they were “a bit chewy”; “Did you overcook them?” Pause, to allow the full ramifications of his actions to settle, then: “THEY WERE MEANT TO BE
COOKED???” So, you know, he’s not given
to paying 100% attention to things.) Anyway, I’m sorry. Mea cupla etc. Except not, actually *mea* culpa, but rather
the culpa of life and house-moves and parenting small people, and a DEATH IN
THE FAMILY. (More of which anon.)
So anyway. Like long-distance flights with children and
childbirth, I have put The Week From Hades into a closed part of my brain, and
am struggling to remember anything more than the most horrific points. It started off badly enough (which
you can read about, concisely, here if you so desire) but then it just
got worse and worse, and honestly I felt like I was losing my mind. I recall thinking at one point (deliciously self-indulgently) “I’m not
sure I can do this any more” – as if I was running back-to-back marathons (or
even having to clean my own house, GOD FORBID.)
The movers were fairly inept, and there was much sitting around waiting
for Lady to give them directions (“Maybe you could, you know, carry a few boxes
out to the van?”), and when at 930pm they still
hadn’t finished moving all the boxes into the new house, I may, just slightly, have gone a bit
shouty and ordered them all to LEAVE NOW.
And so we (“we”, meaning the 3 children and I; the Man was suffering his own sort of hell in
a posh hotel in Japan. “But I wish I was
there helping you!”) all went to bed in my room, camping on whatever unpacked
bit of cushioning we could find, and no one could sleep because of “the dark”
and, later “the light” and, variously, “the quiet” and “the noise”, and there
was much bed cushion-swapping, and they were a tired and cranky bunch
the next day. And I was a tired and
cranky Lady who still had to give
minute instructions to the unpackers (“JUST UNPACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD”) and
then, about 3,000 hours later, It. Was. Done.
(Well, sort of. In a not-really kind of way. But it’s as done as it’s
going to be this side of the summer holidays (which have already kicked off for
the Boy, and which see me, ALONE, dragging the three of them, ALONE, to Europe,
in two weeks. ALONE.))
So.
Overall it’s fabulous to be in a house, with an upstairs and a garden
and a back gate, and A POOL*. The kids
have about twenty things they can do at any one time, and if there is any
bitching&moaning about Being Bored, the Bitcher&Moaner is sent to their
room, which is upstairs, where bedrooms should be, and so we cannot hear a
thing. There is outside seating (with
overhead fans which sound as if they are about to break free and decapitate us)
and a playroom and our bedroom is big enough to swing both cats (if they ever
deign to come out from under my bathroom sink, where they took up residence on
day one, and have barely left. They did venture out to the garden one morning
last week, but one of them met the neighbourhood bully, which scared the shit
out of her (literally) and the other ate a lizard and spent the rest of the day
vomiting. So both seem to have thrown in
the Towel of Adventure and are staying put on top of the spare toilet rolls,
where nothing, other than a desperate TP-seeking claw, can harm them.)
There are a couple of things which
are not entirely fabulous. We have monkeys in the garden, which I was alerted
to on the first morning when I got home from School Run 1, to find the Alpha
male sitting in the garden eating a banana handed to him by the Alpha Boy. The
entire troupe made an appearance yesterday evening as we were finishing lunch,
brazenly walking along the garden wall about 6 feet from us, and giving us a total
Fuck You glare. (Then they sat eyeballing us for a while, sending telepathic
messages to the Boy to Give Us Food.) I
like the idea of monkeys – nature and jungle and wild etc – but the Wild bit of
that ideal worries me somewhat. I’m too
young to have my face ripped off! (Actually,
I am probably just the right age for such an event; there is a decent amount of saggery allowing probably
for total facial removal, but not so much that there wouldn’t be any challenge for
them at all.)
Also, there is no internet (I
know! I feel like I’ve stepped back into
the 80s - a feeling propounded by the
house’s hideous bathrooms and kitchen) and the phone connection is very weak
(we’re in the Singapore version of the Yorkshire Dales) so unless I schlep self
and my ancient laptop to a Starbucks, I am basically removed from
civilisation. (Greetings from Starbucks,
btw.)
On the plus side, having no internet
means that when I do have internet,
my blog feed is AWASH with weeks’ worth of fabulousness. (Which reminds me, if there is any amongst
you who is not familiar with this blogger, (a) get familiar quickly, and
(b) buy her book. (I say that, all
authoritative, while in fact I have (SHAME ON ME) not bought her book
myself. I have tried, dammit, but it’s
just not sold here. And Singpost will
either lose or steal it, and I want a real book, not a downloaded one. Some books deserve holding, and I’m sure this
is one of them.)) And I am almost weaned
off the black hole of Facebook, which can only be a Good Thing.
But having said that, I have just
spent my entire free two hours on the damned Facebook, and now I have to run to
collect the Baby. Usually I’m not
terribly excited about having to collect her, but today is different; today she
had Show & Tell, and brought in... A BAG OF HER OWN HAIR. I can’t wait to see how that went down.
I have to run. The Family Death will have to wait.
(*Quite teeny tiny and more like a
tarpaulin stapled into a deep hole and then filled up with tap water, rain, and the desperate tears of Lady.)
your writing is so funny. I love Belgian Waffle too.
ReplyDeleteHurrah, two blogs from you to read. Love textpat wives; merging the blog text thing feels a bit like the result of the everyday random cog turning of my brain.
ReplyDelete