Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Of Mice and Mould

I made the silly mistake of going away ALONE for the weekend - although now that I think about it, it was silly only in as much as I came back.  What was I thinking? (And while I’m at it – forget Singapore – I HEART Edinburgh.  My God it’s gorgeous up there.  And cheap! £6 for a cocktail! Or maybe London is just a rip-off? )  Anyway, I’ve now come to the conclusion that coming home is the price parents pay for going away. 

This is a choice selection of what I came home to:

A pan full of mould.  Not just any mould – oh no.  This was mould crafted from the finest ingredients that money could buy. A mould of smoked-fish chowder, which was made with my own fair hands to feed the hungry hoards in my absence.  It appears, however, that the hungry hoards prefer fishfingers and ketchup. I don’t mind so much that they didn’t eat it;  it’s that they didn’t even look at the stuff that annoys me.  There is little less welcome a sight after a 6 hour journey then lifting up a lid and being greeted by... green, rancid cat-puke. Blugh.

An indescribable amount of laundry.  I will leave it at that.

Icky offspring.  When I picked the Girl up from nursery I was greeted by the sight of her in her spare clothes, and her teacher with a look of... disgust / horror, bearing a plastic bag filled with... disgust / horror.  She (the Girl, not the teacher) then spent the rest of the day wandering around doubled over with her hand on her tummy telling anyone who’d listen: “I have the diarrhoea”.

A Baby who has grown horns.  (And, if her weight is anything to go by, has been eating animal sacrifices.  Large animal sacrifices.)

A mouse.  In fact I was sitting on my bed, hiding from the children, reading an article on the Daily Misogynist Mail’s  website (that my sister had sent me, I hasten to add) about a lawyer woman in Clapham who heard a thud from her daughter Ava’s room and went in to find... (I could barely read any more, assuming that I was actually reading about MYSELF)... a FOX sitting on her kid’s bed, LICKING HER FACE.  At this point a mouse dashed across the bedroom floor, giving me a fucking heart attack.  I tell you, it’s non-stop wildlife in these parts. Once I had regained my composure, and climbed, acrobat-like, from the bed to the hall (without touching the floor), I went in search of the Boy who picked up the dish-brush and announced, in a very serious voice:  “Leave it to me, Lady.” Well he upended every piece of furniture in my room, but no sign of our furry friend, until – SQUEAK! – there it was ON TOP OF THE CURTAIN...  The Boy picked up my shoe and flung it at it, whereupon it jumped down – I think I’m going to vomit just thinking about it – and scuttled out of the room, down the half-stairs, into the Boy’s room.  The Boy WHOOPED for joy, legged after it, and disappeared into his room, slamming the door behind him.  I have seen neither the Boy nor the mouse since, but there’s a Godawful racket coming from up there. (Update: The mouse has, so far, escaped.  The Boy has just left the kitchen with a block of cheese.  “I have a plan”, he tells me. Beside me the Girl and the Baby are huddled, both looking petrified.  Nature or nurture?)  

Just think, I could be back in Edinburgh. It was FANTASTIC.  Being unbelievably high maintenance I had my own personal concierge to do ALL my thinking for me!  It was like I’d imagine it to be to have a really fabulous wife. She decided that I was to hang out in a spa, have a massage,  get pissed, read every weekend paper I could get my hands on, sleep in...  She even organised a hair cut (I clearly look like someone who lives in a house with mice and foxes.  And mould.)  Mind you, the joy dissipated somewhat when I asked the woman cutting my hair to just pull out that big huge white hair that was, to my horror, sticking straight up from my parting.  She looked aghast, I assumed because you should never pluck a white hair, or something equally random.  “Don’t you usually pluck white hairs?” I asked her.  She visibly squirmed, then said – “Well sometimes my mum does if she finds one on her head...”

Excellent.  I am officially ANCIENT, older than a hairdresser’s mother.  I’m never going away again.

Ps:  Big thanks to everyone for the various comments, emails and messages I got about my Big News last week. I am very excited.  Even if it is the other side of the world.  And I don’t know One. Single. Person.  I will have staff.  STAFF!  All the white hair in the world can’t diminish my exhilaration. (And anyway, I can order my slave STAFF to pluck out all offending hairs and KILL HER if she so much as thinks about being aghast...)



8 comments:

  1. Talking about staff, what happened to the aur pair girl? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is here and is my SAVIOUR. I would be completely mad if it wasn't for her. But I can't beat her, or house her in a cupboard, which is where Singapore staffing has the edge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet your hair dresser was really young so therefore had a very young mother? ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. white hair plucking can lead to early balding.... watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gawd, Edinburgh sounded heavenly...*sigh*. Love that you will now have staff to pull out grey hairs. So Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I missed the notice about Singapore. Maybe because I've been sitting here while he's away on some job thing and I've had not one but TWO birthdays to contend with and I had to drive back north to attend a wedding that was on HIS side of the family. I am very busy hating my life while you are traveling around the globe.

    So, fark you and congratulations. And you know exactly how I mean that - with my tongue out, raging in jealousy. Can you wait 2 years? I might be there then. Probably not. Definitely overseas....they'll send me to The Congo. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Congo's not too bad. I'll send you my copy of The Poisonwood Bible to get you in the mood...

      Delete
  7. What? What? Must dash off now to read about The Big News.

    ReplyDelete