With a couple of exceptions, today
was the usual maelstrom of shoddy (and shouty) parenting, personal ineptitude
and eye-rolling. This is the norm on
Mondays, a day which is divided between driving children – usually bickering
children – all over the island, grocery shopping, and the sudden realisation
that homework (such that it is) is due on Tuesdays, and of course nothing has
been done.
The fun started as soon as I got out
of bed – late – when I remembered that the Girl was follically coated in
formaldehyde (or maybe it’s battery acid?
Whatever it takes to STOP THE SCRATCHING) and needed a shower. Of course by this stage she was already dressed
and ready for school so the wheels fell off the entire morning. We got to school chronically late, at which point I mentioned (sotto voce) our adventures in pest
control to the teacher, and we were immediately frog-marched to the school
nurse to be checked. (All I could think
was: Christ – they’re going to send her
home with me.) She had a grand old time,
however – leather chair, cartoons on a loop, kindly lady PROPERLY checking her
hair. I however, behaved in my usual
half-assed haphazard way, and as a result am now one of those people that the
nurses will be talking about for months to come around the water cooler. (“She
didn’t even know what she was looking for!” “Who uses hair straighteners on a
child’s hair to kill nits?”* “And then she changed her baby’s dirty nappy IN
FULL VIEW OF EVERYONE!” “And then she went to put the nappy in
the bin!!” “And then she offered her baby nuts. NUTS! She brought NUTS to
school!! NUTS ARE FORBIDDEN!”) So I slunk away, feeling like I’d left my
parenting tool-box at home (along with my brain) but at least I got to the
leave the Girl at school. Because –
phew. Mondays are hard enough going as
it is.
Before the usual grocery-shopping
hell / bemusement there was a lovely interlude with a lovely new friend, which
involved coffee and a comprehensive, and very insightful discussion about
Serial. Lovely new friend was a prosecutor in the US so had a totally different
take on things, which was fascinating - because we all want him to be innocent,
right? Except she doesn’t. She wants him to be a very well polished sociopath,
and thinks that he probably is. (However, having sine listened to the most recent episode, she has recanted and
now thinks his attorney just screwed up. Which is what I assume everyone
thinks, no?) I love Serial – and not
just because it’s compelling and wonderfully narrated and thorough and
addictive; mainly because it gives me
something interesting to think and talk about and to have an opinion on, and doesn’t
involve children or school. Or, currently, head-lice.
Nothing noteworthy from the grocery
shop, apart from failing rather catastrophically to make myself understood when
I asked if they had any nit-combs. Turns
out that what I thought would be
relatively easy to communicate (through the various media of mime, hand
gesticulations, and raised voice) in fact just makes me look like an idiot. (It
goes without saying that the only person who didn’t understand me was the shop
assistant; everyone else gave me a very wide berth thereafter.)
The usual teatime/bedtime shit show,
and then this little fella showed up:
The Elf on the Shelf! Suddenly
– thankfully - my threats will have some substance
to them. Mind you, I can’t help
feeling that I am manipulating the kids’ innocence for my own gains. Competing
with that thought is astonishment at the crap
that kids will believe. “He’s an elf! He comes to life when you’re not
looking. He flies up to the North Pole
and tells Santa on you. So you HAVE TO BE GOOD. Then he comes back and you have
to find him in the morning.” (Aliens
are watching us and shaking their little
green heads in disbelief.)
So of course, major excitement, a solemn naming ceremony, the sprinkling
of Elf Dust (how else is he going to come alive, huh?), and we plonked him on a
shelf. And then he moved! They went WILD. And then he moved again – upside-down! At this point I started to question my
wisdom, because now they just WOULD NOT GET INTO BED, and I had to go out. (So then I went out and brought him with me,
and God knows what they thought. But what could they expect? These dust-sprinkled elves are unpredictable buggers.
)
And now it’s way past my bedtime,
and I’ve just realised that as well as feeding the hamster – my last chore of the
day, usually only remembered when I’m in bed – I now have to find things for
the Elf to “do” by morning too.
GAH.
(*I thought this was inspired, but
apparently not.)
Is this a bit like the time I went to a pharmacy to ask for something to treat thrush and was given, by a young, enthusiastic, non native English speaking, trainee, a toothbrush? Whole shop knew what I wanted...loving these daily blogs x
ReplyDeleteThat's brilliant! (Did the toothbrush help?)
ReplyDeleteI just stumbled across Serial this last weekend and I'm hooked. So good.
ReplyDeleteFYI - Metal nit combs and lotion can be found at organic shops. There's one on Bukit Timah near Coronation Plaza.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea if Adnan is guilty or not. I would be the worst lawyer in the world.
Thank you Flotsamm. My endless chauffeuring takes me past there tmrw, good to know.
ReplyDelete