Oh dear. 2 posts for the whole of December is not great going*. I s’pose this could be justified by it being December, and all my time having been taken up ensuring the family had the greatest Christmas ever, perfectly wrapped presents, beautifully home-made food, a shining house and glimmering decorations etc. Except the house looked like it always does (shudder), presents were wrapped not many minutes before they were handed over, the fridge remained mysteriously bare (notwithstanding the shocking grocery bills) and Christmas – well it was lovely, but it came and went without too much of a flutter.
Anyway, this makes sorting a New Year’s Resolutions List easy peasy. Well, the first one anyway: Post Blog once a week.
The following comprises the rest of the list, and is rather pathetic, but I’m working on the “Aim low” basis. At the very least it’ll make for interesting reading in 364 days’ time.
No alcohol in January.
I know I know. It’s a great idea, and one I’m hoping will boost my flagging energy levels, but it’s gonna be hard. My day is punctuated by that 730pm glass of wine; it marks the delineation between being a mother and being the old me (I almost said “real” instead of “old”, but have to admit that I’ve no longer any idea who the real me is); it acts as a full stop to the non-stop parenting and allows me to change gear slightly; and rather pathetically, it gives me the wherewithall to set to the Great Daily Clean Up. Alas, it also leaves me feeling a bit muggy-headed in the morning, and given our current fractured sleep – we’re regularly woken up twice a night – I need all the clarity I can get. Not to mention that it has a nasty habit of slipping to two – or even three – glasses, then suddenly it’s 830pm, and yet again dinner is being gulped down at 9ish, and then the evening is gone.
So for the sake of clear heads and efficiency, January is going to be booze-free. Gulp.
Facebook and emails to be checked once a day only.
Seriously. What a complete waste of time – literally - Facebook is (tho note t’s not enough of a waste of time to discard it entirely). Emails aren’t ever urgent enough to warrant checking more than once a day anyway (actually, really only once a week in my case).
And most importantly: Laugh in the face of toddler tantrums.
Even if this causes a magnitude in the tantrum. According to parents everywhere, soon it’ll all be over and I’ll be worrying about crack addiction (I’m just assuming the reference is to the children’s addiction and not my own) so best to try to enjoy it. Or at the very least not to want to sink to the ground and cover myself with dead leaves several times a day.
May 2011 be the year I finally achieve something on my list of resolutions...
* In my defence, I did write one in the run up to Christmas – detailing my Santa wish-list – but (a) I never got around to posting it and (b) it sort of depressed me, the untenable things I wanted. Another set of arms, another hour in the day, a kitchen floor that never needed sweeping or mopping, a Naughty Corner that actually worked etc. In the end I realised that what I really really want – need in fact – is a wife. Not a crappy useless wife like me; nope, a proper 1950s house wife (without the valium addiction or the alcoholism), who’ll cook and clean and smile and do the laundry while singing softly under her breath. Most def not me.
No comments:
Post a Comment