Monday, 10 January 2011

Whinging and Wine-ing


Resolutions going splendidly.  Second blog posting in so many weeks, weaning self off the intellectual vacuum that is Facebook, and apart from a few small lapses (most  notably my own tantrum when I was bitten on the leg yesterday – the naughty corner has never been used with such vehemence), our house is generally filled with the sound of my (hollow) laughter when faced with the questionable behaviour of a small person.  Most amazingly, it’s now Day 10 in the Big Sober household, and as expected (dental violence aside), this has been the most difficult resolution to uphold.  There hasn’t been an evening when I haven’t waivered, and last night  I found self  inhaling the contents of the Man’s wine glass, and actually opening the cupboard for a wine glass – before admonishing self for my patheticness and lack of will power. 

Despite feelings of self-satisfaction and smugness,  I’m not convinced that this manifestation of inner discipline is actually yielding any physical benefits – other than (I assume) to my liver.  I haven’t had any middle-of-the-night waking in about a week, tho’ suspect this is more to do with the kids sleeping (relatively) well at the moment, and the fact that I am so dog-tired by the time I fall into bed, that little would wake me.  I’m beginning to suspect that my flagging energy levels may in fact be as a result of the two small people who lodge with me. (Whooda ever thunk it??  And what are the chances of giving them up for a month day?)

The days just feel bereft of something – a gap which I am trying, unsuccessfully, to fill with elderflower juice and chocolate.  Because of this, I have found self reaching for the (forlornly half-full) bottle of wine as a dinner ingredient more often than usual. 

The recipe below  - perfect food for this most imperfect of winter months – can be made without the addition of lashings of red wine, but like me, is more rounded with it.  If you're feeling particularly virtuous, throw in some greens - eg baby spinach - a few mins before serving.  It takes slightly longer to make than I would prefer, but it’s a one-pot dish, and once the prep is done, you just leave it to get on with cooking itself.

Lentils au Vin (Or Hot Nourishing Lentil Stew, if you omit the Vin)

You Need (For 2 hungry hogs, with plenty left over for hungry hoglets):
  • 250g Puy Lentils
  • One onion, chopped
  • Couple of carrots,  thinly(ish) sliced
  • Couple of stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces
  • A large glass of red wine – anything you have to hand (or want to have to hand, if you’re looking for an excuse to open a bottle...) 
  • One tin of tomatoes (whole or chopped)
  • A litre of hot stock*
  • Whatever dried or fresh wintery herbs you have in your cupboard (eg rosemary, parsley, oregano).  Don’t fret if your kitchen is a herb-free zone. 
Heat some oil in a deep casserole dish / saucepan, and add the holy trinity of chopped onions, celery and carrots.  Once they start spitting, turn the heat down to medium and leave to soften – about 7 minutes or so.  You might want  to keep an eye on them and stir occasionally to prevent them sticking.

Tip in the lentils (the measurement is approximate;  they’ll swell to about twice their size, so add as much as you think you’ll need) and stir, coating in the oily vegetable mixture. 

Add the wine and the tomatoes (breaking them up if using whole ones) and stir to mix.  Bring to the boil.

Add as much of the stock as you need to cover the mixture by about one cm.  Bring to the boil again, then stir and turn heat down, so the mixture is bubbling.  Add any dried herbs you’re using.

Check on it every 10 mins or so, adding more stock as needed.  You’re aiming for a thick stew, so adjust liquid level as needed – adding more stock or wine if too dry, or letting bubble furiously if too wet.

The lentils will take about half an hour to cook through.  Season to taste, and add any fresh herbs before serving.

Serve with potatoes, rice, hot garlicky toast – or just in a deep bowl, all on it’s lonesome.  

And lucky lucky you if you get to have a glass of red wine with, as well as within, your dinner.   

*Have I extolled the virtues of Marigold stock yet?  If so, ignore this.  If not – get yourself to a large supermarket / healthfood shop soonest and stock up.  Delia and Nigella swear by this, which is a fairly impressive pedigree.  As well as being the easiest stock for all soups and stews, if you ever find yourself  with a hangover again, it’s the perfect comfort drink.  Ah, hangovers...



1 comment:

  1. I love lentils and I love wine. This is a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete