The Boy is currently full of
love. I brought the Girl away for a few
days last week, just the two of us (easy, bliss, almost fun), and since we’ve
been back he LOVES everything. But
mainly, he loves me. “I LOVE YOU
MUMMY”, several times a day. It’s quite
disconcerting actually - I brace myself for a thump and instead get a great big
wet kiss, smack on the lips. Unfortunately
for the Boy this doesn’t always result in an act of reciprocity; big wet kisses
are one of the casualties of my pregnancy, making my stomach turn (possibly a
Darwinian-esque act of self preservation, to prevent self getting knocked up
AGAIN). He doesn’t seem to notice, or
care however. Off he goes, throwing his
love at all and sundry. (I LOVE YOU
STRAWBERRIES! AND I LOVE YOU LADYBIRD! And Mr Ant!
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I AM GOING TO SQUISH YOU DEAD.)
The Girl is oblivious to – and
largely, un-receiving of – most of this.
For her part, she is now as full of words as he is of love. To the untrained ear, it’s mainly
babble. So to prevent confusion, on the
off-chance that you happen upon her, here’s an easy-to-use Girl-Speak / English
mini dictionary of her most common words:
Dack? Please may I have a snack, Mummy
dearest?
DACK! I said I WANT A SNACK. NOW.
Dallo?
Daddy please can you move your head so I can take your pillow? Thanks.
DALLO! Move your fucking head
Dip?
I’ve been awake for a few minutes, so I think it’s time for hummus
Dicks!
And breadsticks
Dollo?
Has anyone seen Dolly?
Dollo!
Why! There you are, you mangy filthy scrap of Chinese plastic. Imagine being where I left you five minutes
ago. I’ve missed you soooooooooo much.
Doos?
Please can you either put my shoes on or take them off (depending on
circumstances).
DOOS!
There is something in my shoe, possibly an errand sock, causing me
discomfort. You moron.
DOP:
Stop it. Now.
DUCK!
HELP! I’m STUUUUUUUUUCK
EAT!
See this? It’s my mouth. Put something in it.
EEEEEEEEEEAT!
Now.
Lolo?
I rather fancy some yoghurt. Not
the stuff with bits in it. (cf also
“Yuck”)
Lolo!
Hey! Look how cool it is when the
yoghurt flies through the air like that!
Poo
Poo? Something is happening in my bottom
region. I’m not entirely sure what. It
could go either way
POO
POO! Hehehe! I’ve got something fo-or youuuuuuuuuuuu...
Potty!
I’d quite like to circle this plastic bucket thing for a few hours, while
simultaneously pissing repeatedly all over the floor. If that’s ok?
Woof
Woof! Look!
It’s a dog! On a string! Oh pleasepleasepleaseplease can I put my hand
in its mouth? What do you mean Don’t
Pull Its Tail? OW-OW-OW
Y-eye-yon:
Oh Lion, small stuffed yellow thing smelling slightly of vomit and
crusted with snot, how much do I love thee, oh apple of my eye? Let me hold you
tight and NEVERLETYOUGO. You are the
only one who understands me. Fancy
sticking your nose in my bottom?
YUCK:
Not for me, thanks.
YURGHARGHJA!
You think you can
bitch-slap me around with your big boy hands, do you? How about a
hair-pull... Oh yeah? You’re not so tough now, are you, with your
stupid kisses and your FULLOFLOVE. I’ll
show you love, MUMMYSBOY
I, for the record, as well as being
full of child, am full of salads. The
sun is shining! (For non-Englanders, this is really quite a massive turn of
events). I need something crispy and fresh to offset the endless ways I’ve been
serving chocolate...
Here’s my current favourite, courtesy of Mr Veg himself, Hugh Fearnley-W. It sounds a bit dull and coleslawy, but
actually it’s fabulous. Easy, quick and
delicious. Make twice as much as you think you’ll eat. Goes
well with sunshine, hummus and flatbread.
And a teeny cheeky glass of rose.
Grated Carrots with Peanuts and
Cumin. Oh, and Orange.
You need (for 2, very generously)
- Large handful of nuts (HFW uses cashews, I’ve used peanuts. I think anything nutty will work)
- Tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 2 large carrots
- 1 orange
- Dash each of wine / cider vinegar, and olive oil
- Handful of coriander (optional).
In a dry frying pan, toast the nuts
for a couple of minutes; just before
they start to brown add the cumin seeds, stir a bit, and leave for another minute.
Grate the carrots into the salad
bowl (HFW has you cutting them into sticks;
I think grating is easier to do, and easier to eat)
Zest the orange over the bowl, then
peel it – again over the bowl – and slice / cut into chunks. Add to the
carrots.
Throw in the nuts and cumin, and the
coriander (if using - which I recommend) and stir well.
Add as much olive oil and vinegar as
you like, to taste. Salt and pepper if
you want. A dash of OJ if you have some
lurking in the fridge. Mix well, gobble up, then pick-pick-pick at the leftovers.
Et voila. A salad guaranteed to fill you with
love.
YURGHARGHJA!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the new battle cry. Aren't you just the gift that keeps on giving?
Love that. Might adopt same language, just for a bit. See what happens. And rose! Good for you x
ReplyDeleteoh thank you for brightening up my day and the sun is shining here too
ReplyDeleteSome? - I would love to try that salad.
ReplyDelete