I think of this on the rare occasion
when we – the adults – now go out for a grown-up dinner. At some point in the evening I’ll suddenly
remember I have children (usually about the same time I realise I don’t know
the baby-sitter’s second name, don’t have their phone number, and in any event
have left my phone at home) and spend a few seconds trying to imagine having
them with us, then and there... After nearly four years of my mind going blank
at this point, perhaps it’s time to give up that dream for good.
I don’t tho’. Stubborn and misguided that I am, I still
cling to the hope that someday, we’ll spend a mealtime, en famille, somewhere
quite nice.
Like the fantastic restaurant we went to last weekend, for instance, which
I’ve since learnt is quite the In Place in London at the moment. It was fabulous from start (“Oooh, glass of champagne? YES PLEASE”)
to finish (“Oooh, any one of a number of
digestifs, served to the twinkling of a bar-side piano? YES PL... Actually, water is fine. Gah.”) –
incredible food, cool surroundings, great service – which, on top of all that,
had two stand-out events. The first was
the arrival of a man who looked exactly like
Michael Caine; and lo! - if it wasn’t Sir Michael himself. (And with that, I – natch - started to
project fame onto every diner [and staff member] much to the Man’s annoyance). The second was the even more exciting arrival
later on of the most sublime cookies I’ve ever
tasted. (So much so that I got some
to take away, to bribe the children with the next morning - which, it goes
without saying, never made it to the next morning.) Anyway, there isn’t a hope in hell that the
kids could ever fit into those surroundings.
I barely do, for goodness
sakes, and I’ve had years of
practice.
With this in mind, I decided to
lower our eating-out standards. And so
it came to pass that we found ourselves walking through the unhallowed Golden
Arches... Yes. Reader, they had their first McDonald’s experience. (Suddenly
the nice people at the MADs start to twitch and mutter “Best Food Blog nomination? I
TOLD you it was madness....” ).
I haven’t been to a McDonald’s in
about 25 years (apart from a very hungover bathroom pit-stop in Florida last year, when I was so
ill that I contemplated lying down on the bathroom floor), when I was about 14
and had a mouthful of metal. An
American tourist who was sitting at a table full of BOYS - an exotic, and
largely forbidden species - leant over to me and asked what would happen if I
kissed a boy who also had braces – would our mouths get intertwined? The entire table – all those BOYS, the SHAME – erupted into laughter, and I DIED A
DEATH inside and don’t think I’ve ever fully recovered. It’s no wonder really I’ve never been
back.
So there we were, just finished a
class with the Boy, and I was invited along with all the other parents and
kids. What was I to do - sniff and head to the pizzeria next door? (Which is
what every bone in my body was telling me to do; as well as being a complete food snob, I
think that teenage trauma still lingers).
In we went. (On a side point - the arches are no longer golden! And where’s the freaky clown man?) Being the precious little beast that
he is, the Boy sat at a table and waited to be served (he must have thought he
was at home). So I served him (and
her): fish fingers, carrot sticks, and
orange juice. Oh ok, and fries. Unbelievably, they didn’t touch a thing
(apart from the ketchup, which they ate by the fingerful). Which I wish I could say was down to their
superior upbringing and innate foodiness, but in fact was a result of their
sudden realisation that they could run around without their harridan mother
shrieking, pointlessly, at them. To be
honest I was – most unusually - quite happy for them to run around and ignore
their food, because while it was incredibly cheap - £2.50 for a meal – it
really wasn’t nice what they’re used to.
Very salty FOR OUR TASTES (Note to
McD lawyers: note reference to personal experience, as opposed to general
statement of quality, or otherwise, of food...) and quite honestly, I
thought for a moment that they’d given us strangely-shaped chicken nuggets
instead of fish fingers (for those
lawyers again – I THOUGHT THIS because I’m not used to the food. Not saying it
all tastes the same or has a similar texture or anything...). So anyway, they ran around like cats on fire
while the other mums cast each other furtive glances and leant into each other
to better hear themselves above the din, and I sat there thinking I wish I’d sat with my back to the window, when
really I should probably have been slurping a chocolate milkshake and an apple
pie, and been transported back to my teenage years. (Or possibly not). Eventually I scooped them up, and we went home
and had this fried rice.
Anyway, this is the perfect time for
a segue into a recipe for fish-fingers and
chips, but I think I’ll go with the other dining experience. I emailed the restaurant to see if they’d
share the cookie recipe with me and guess what?
They did! Within about 5 minutes of me asking, AND were very happy for
me to reproduce the recipe on the blog. Now
that’s what I call great
service.
Peanut
Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies
(with thanks to Phil Usher of 34 for his generosity in sharing – I think I
would have kept these all to myself)
You need: (for 18 cookies; the original recipe had twice the quantities. I don’t need any excuse to eat 36 cookies, so for the sake of my waistline [at least let me pretend I still have one?] I cut the amount in half. Double up if you have more self-restraint – or children - than I do. )
- 90g flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 60g soft unsalted butter
- 35g dark brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ a beaten egg
- Heaped tablespoon peanut butter
- 100g white chocolate buttons (smashed up) (I used milk chocolate, which worked perfectly also)
- 50g crushed plain peanuts
Preheat the oven to 180c.
In a blender, cream the butter with
the caster sugar, peanut butter and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg gradually then the
sieved flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
Stir in the crushed peanuts and
broken chocolate chips.
Roll out the biscuit mixture into a
sausage shape, as wide as you want the cookies to be, and cut to desired thickness.
Place on a baking tray lined with baking
paper, bake for 6-8
minutes, then leave to cool. Which,
thankfully, only takes a few minutes.
Eat with a super-sized milkshake. (Or not.)
I have two nut allergy people in the house, so I'll just have to keep them all for myself ;-)
ReplyDeleteYou'll be wanting the original-sized portion then... (BTW - FOUR in THREE years??? Seriously? And you have time for the internet? Impressive.)
DeleteHOW many eggs? 1 /1/2?
ReplyDeleteoh shit, sorry. 1/2 for the batch I made - 18; 1 whole one for the big batch. I beat the whole egg then poured approx half into the mix. The rest I used for my hangover cure.
Delete(I didn't really...)
DeleteTotally unrelated but I needed a new book so threw The Marriage Plot into my library queue. I got it and read the flap synopsis. Honestly? The synopsis made me tired. I shall probably be on this book for quite some time.
ReplyDeleteSo you know, what's caster sugar? And also, the celsius stuff makes me sad. It's like when I first loved Nigella and she'd be all "Gas mark 4" and I'd hang my head, because what the fuck is Gas Mark 4?
ReplyDeleteBy the way, The Marriage Plot SUCKS. I was at Brown in the eighties, and it was nothing like boring Mr. Eugenides says it was. I ran with semiotics majors, too. Bah. He gets it wrong in too many ways to count, and if there were ever a book that made writing look hard, this is it. You know what I mean? I felt like I could practically see the sweat beading on his brow the whole time I read. (I finished it, then felt dirty for doing so.)
What a ringing endorsement. You evidently enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed 50 Shades of Grey. Does this mean I can just quit before really giving it a go? :P
DeleteGas Mark 4 is the perfect gas level for sticking your head in the oven after a hot stressful day in the park with monstrous children. If you happen to light the gas it works for cooking too. It's medium-hot, equal coincidentally to 180c which is itself equal to 350f. I'll try not to be so lazy next time.
DeleteAm nearing the end of the Marriage Plot and am utterly exhausted. You've hit the nail on the head exactly about the obvious torturous writing process; I think a need a few weeks of US Weekly to redress the balance.
I am taking that as a second nomination that I simply return the book unread. It's on record on your blog, Laundress, so if anyone asks, you'll have to shoulder the blame. If you refuse, I will send you a taped recording of my reading Fifty Shades of Gray... with voices.
DeleteI'm weighed down with a front-heavy bump as it is - what's a little shoulder-blame?? (seriously tho, really not worth it. Am off to buy Hilary Mantel's Bringing up the Bodies now, watch this space...)
DeleteDid you clock that on 34's website they have recipes (not necessarily recipes that one would cook regularly), but how lovely is that?
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to what you think of Bringing Up The Bodies.