Monday, 15 April 2013

Bitching and Moaning


I happened upon a blog the other day called Reasons My Son is Crying (or maybe Why Is My Son Crying?  Definitely something about a son crying) each post of which comprised a photo of a crying toddler and a caption (“I won’t let him eat my credit card”;  “He put his shoe on the wrong foot” etc).  I thought – I could do that.  Mine would be called:  “Why is my Son Bitching and Moaning?”.  The problem however is that there isn’t enough space on the entire internet to accommodate all of the reasons my son bitches and moans.  He bitches and moans about anything and everything.

Random examples of things which pissed him off yesterday are:
  • His cereal being soggy
  • His cereal being too milky
  • His cereal spilling on the table
  • His shoes being “ridiculous”
  • His shorts being too long
  • His shirt being “stupid”
  • His head being itchy
  • His feet being itchy
  • Me telling him not to touch the cactus
  • The place where the cactus thorns stung him being itchy
  • The Girl looking at him funny
  • The Girl laughing
  • The Girl running too fast
  • The Girl singing
  • The Girl not singing
  • His pyjamas being too tight
  • The toothpaste being “spicy”
  • The bed being too soft
  • The floor being too hard
  • The bones of my hand cracking his head open
(Only one of the above isn’t true.)

So you can imagine my delight in breaking the news to him this morning that tonight we leave hot, clothes-optional, swim-after-breakfast, ice-lolly-after-lunch, sand-removing-shower-before-bed Florida. On the plus side, with any luck I won’t be able to hear his bitching and moaning over the sound of the driving English rain.



6 comments:

  1. But if only you would treat him with respect and solicit his input on every decision, I'm SURE he'd stop whining at you all the time!

    (AH HA HA HA HA HA.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2yo daughter moans a lot. The cereal/milk thing is a big issue for her too. "I need my own milk" (she has to pour it in herself); "I need more cereal" (having not eaten a mouthful of what's in front of her); "I want cold water to drink in my blue cup. Not THAT cup, mummy" (deep breath). It's never-ending. And guess what, it's not a phase - it carries on! The 6yo moans quite a lot too. Mind you, I like a good moan. "I need a cup of tea" "No, in THAT mug!"

    Poor old husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 5 year old has an endless list of things that are too spicy which includes, but is not limited to, toothpaste, anything with carbonation, and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 5 yr old does the same.. it is not exceptional apparently?! So it means that my 8 yr old is a rare treasure - a non-moaning child - whome I should cherish..
    Wha... I had the hope some input from us would eventually lead to a non-moaning child.. sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moaning is a complete no-no in this house. Moan and don't stop and I lock away your favourite toys. Tough, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mine are 16 and 12
    they are still moaning
    mind you, the one handed cook is probably right about why...
    Me: take your plate to the kitchen
    no, don't put it NEXT to the dishwasher,put it IN the dishwasher
    No, not on THAT shelf, on the bottom one
    NO, NOT LIKE THAT
    good job I love them, really

    ReplyDelete