A quick one, to, belatedly, give
thanks:
To the Girl for making me laugh: Me - (in
response to something random she said): “What
makes you say that?” Girl - (Initial pause, then surprise at my
stupidity) “My mouth, silly!”
To the Boy for being unexpectedly
sweet: Boy- Mum what would you say
if you were dead? Me– I’d be dead, I
wouldn’t say or feel or think anything;
Boy– but what would you say if you knew you were going to be dead soon,
if you were 94, and I was 8? Me– Well, if
I was 98 you’d be a grown man, NOT 8,
and I’d call you and ask you to come to me, and then I’d hold your hand and
tell you how much I loved you and how happy you’d made me and how I’d carry you
in my heart for ever and ever. Boy– (embarrassed and laughing, but teary) Mummy, you’ve
made me cry!
To paracetamol suppositories, for
the speed at which they bring down a toddler’s 4am fever (not to mention the
hilarious look on said toddler’s face upon receipt of said drugs)
To our lovely friends who didn't care
about kiddie-fevers and insisted on us all joining
them for my first ever Thanksgiving dinner
No thanks at all, however, go to the
nameless child who insisted on sleeping with me, kicked me all night, pissed in
my bed, then woke up with the 4am toddler and stayed awake, manically and
LOUDLY, until 10pm that night. Or to
everyone who plundered the shops here of American / Australian sweet potatoes,
thus rendering my offers to make Nigella’s marshmallowed-sweet-potatoes for Thanksgiving
dinner somewhat invalid. Eventually I tracked down some Indonesian substitutes
(counterfeit, probably) and, under Nigella’s watchful eye made this:
Which was something of a success –
one of the guests pronounced it the best sweet potatoes she’d ever eaten. However, I disagree. They’re just too sweet for me; as a friend put it, why gild the lily? So if you’re after sweet potato puree– and why
wouldn’t you be, because it is a thing of sublime and comforting wonderousness –
lay off the marshmallows, and turn to citrus
and ginger instead.
The trick to making fantastic sweet
potatoes is – as with most things – to use oodles of butter (which you melt) but also, if you
can, to whizz them, once mashed, in a food processor.
Not-too-sweet-and-with-a-zing Sweet Potatoes.
You need: For 4
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2oz butter
- Zest of 1 lime, juice of 2. (It’s worth having extra limes to hand)
- A lump of ginger, about an inch or so long. A fat inch. Chop it finely.
Peel the potatoes and cut into large
chunks.
Put in a large pan with plenty of boiling
water – I find that the higher the water-to-potato ration, the quicker the
potatoes cook
Bring back to the boil then reduce
heat to medium and leave to bubble
Check after about 10 minutes – if a
fork pierces the potatoes easily, they’re done.
Drain well, and leave, covered, in
the colander while you...
...melt the butter in the pan. Once it’s bubbling add the lime zest and the ginger. Leave to fry in the butter for a minute or
so, then tip back in the potatoes.
Add the lime juice, a pinch of salt,
then mash the hell out of it.
Taste, and add more lime juice and /
or salt. (If it’s too tart for your
liking, add some fresh orange juice.)
If your arm is about to drop off
you, but the mash isn’t creamy enough for your liking, plonk it into a food processor
and go wild. Otherwise keep mashing,
even adding a splash of milk (preferably hot) if you want it really smooth.
Dollop it into a great big bowl,
then if you have small children, lock yourself in a small cupboard, leaving the
marshmallows outside to keep them quiet.
Either way, eat, giving thanks for
the magnificent alchemy that is tubers + butter.
No comments:
Post a Comment