I decided to take the weekend
off. What are you all doing reading
blogs anyway? You should be out
shepherding your wild children about and trying to avoid meltdowns. (At least that’s what I’ve been doing.)
Our weekends are always fairly
frantic, and this was no exception. We
clocked up:
- 2 breakfasts out
- 2 lunches out (assuming a plate of donuts constitutes lunch? Of course it does)
- 1 Christmas fair (in the baking heat. So Not Right.)
- 1 evening party (all in attendance)
- 1 evening pub quiz (which we aced)
- 1 airport pick-up
- 4 visiting relatives
- 1 car-vomit
- 3 cockroaches feasting on warm fermenting vomit
- 1 suspected concussion (milked for all it was worth)
- 4 movies (this is what happens when you forbid tv during the week. They glue themselves to the screen at 7am on Saturday.)
- 2 lie ins (excellent)
- 1 beach-club morning
- 1 pizza stop
- 1 room trashed by an Elf
- 1 room cleared up by same Elf, and
- 0 wild animals, scalp-dwelling insects, or other unwelcome critters (aside from the vomit-eating cockroaches).
Tomorrow I have to have a word with
Santa about getting the presents sorted (let’s hope he’s more organised than I
am), arrange a parents’ social evening, do a fair chunk of work, and research Minecraft. Is Minecraft
even suitable for 6 year olds? I assume
not, but the Boy, exposed to it for about 5 milliseconds last night, will now NOT
SHUT UP ABOUT IT. It seems to be the
crack cocaine of computer games. Our
conversation – dragged out over 24 hours – went as follows:
“Can I have it? Can I? You’re just going to say No. You say No to EVERYTHING.”
“Um...”
“You see? I KNEW IT.”
“Can we talk about it later?”
“Why? You’ll just say No later!” [fair point]
“Um...” [searching, futilely, for something tangible to pin my latent distrust on]
“I need to check the age limit on it...”
“It’s FINE. Teddy was playing it and he’s FIVE and I’m
SIX”
“Yes, but Teddy has an older brother
and sister so... it’s different for him...” [I think that this is where I started to lose ground]
“HOW? HOW?”
“Um... Let me talk to Dad, ok?”
“He’ll just say No too.”
“We’ll talk about it tomorrow, I promise.
It’s late now and you’re going to bed when we get home.”
“What? WHAT? WHY??”
Tomorrow has been and gone, and we are
no closer to resolution, but I suspect he will get his way. My beef is this. Computer games suck kids in until all they
want to do is play them, and all you hear is whinge whinge moan when they have
to do something else, like go to sleep, or eat dinner, or – God forbid – go
splash about in their luxury pool and take advantage of their tropical
lifestyle. The Boy is particularly
sensitive to screen stuff – it seems to rewire his brain, making him tetchy and
agitated and, to be honest, pretty unmanageable. I DO NOT NEED COMPUTER GAMES IN MY – or his -
LIFE.
However. I can’t ban computer games. They’re a fact of kiddie life now, and it’s
not fair on my kids to be the ones that are left out. I’ve strung it out as long as I can and I need
to start bending at some point. I’ve
heard good things about Minecraft – it fosters imagination, teamwork, finding
solutions, blah blah blah.
But.
It’s still a computer game, and he’s still 6.
Bah humbug. I’m going to bed. (Just as soon as I’ve strung Little Jackie
Brown from some fixture or other).
If anyone has any wisdom to shed on
my Minecraft dilemma, let me know. (Particularly
if your 6 year old started to play it and became calm, deferential and
subservient. I’d love to hear about
that.)
http://qz.com/311035/were-ruining-our-kids-with-minecraft-the-case-for-unstructured-play/
ReplyDeleteMy children are 7 & 9 and they play it. They play the creative option where they just design houses/forts/tunnels etc and they love it Like lego but onscreen. We have it on the tablet and they are allowed up to 30 minutes a day only. It does have a crack like additiveness to it. You can download the app for about €5 and check it out yourself to see what you think. Good luck!
ReplyDeletep.s I love your blog and sense of humour!
We've got one video game - courtesy of the husband(!!) - which is pretty cool. Disney Princesses beating shit out of villains. Lil' L is only allowed to play it about once a month. And surely never without asking or me having an eye on how long she's playing. I am pretty anal about stuff like this. 'It's not good for you' is my standard answer. Oh, and 'because I say so.' I am awesome at parenting...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWe just say NO. Yes it's unfair, blahblahblah, but tough. I've told them we'll reconsider when they're 8 (5 year old twin boys) but for now it's a big fat N-O.
ReplyDeleteMy son had a craze of playing minecraft obsessively about a year ago. Because I let him watch as much TV and play as many computer games as he wants he much prefers doing other things like going outside to play with friends.
ReplyDeleteI think there are two separate questions. First, should you start down the slippery slope of computer games for your son. As the parent of a tech-obsessed now teen boy, I know the struggle. In a perfect world, you could use this to teach your son moderation and limits with regard to technology, which, as you say, is an inevitable part of their lives. This worked very well with my daughter, who had no trouble abiding by our limits, but was (and still is) a constant battle with our son. So you need to think about what kind of kid you son it.
ReplyDeleteSecond, if you decide on allowing a game, Minecraft is an excellent choice. It's smart, creative and non-violent. If your son is so inclined, he can modify it through programming in Java, which is a good way to teach young kids how to program.
Good luck with your decision!