It’s my Birthday! And, as with so many other days in my
parenting life, it started off pretty well, before the wheels came off.
I awoke, after 8 unbroken hours’
sleep, in a beautiful hotel, and had the
perfect breakfast – uninterrupted, English breakfast tea, and decent
newspapers. The plan was for the kids to come
and join us, we’d spend the morning splashing about in the hotel pool / on the beach,
then head home, maybe a spot of shopping, maybe a glass of champagne, maybe a
movie. Maybe even a nap! (It is my birthday after all.) However, it was pissing rain – which did
nothing to dampen my good humour, except for a passing thought as to what to do
with the kids for the rest of the day if it continued.
And with that, I thoroughly jinxed
myself.
A few minutes later the kids tumbled in, a collective ball
of frenetic energy, chased the hotel’s peacocks about for a bit, then we all tumbled
up the stairs to the room. I cuddled up in bed with the Girl, as close as I could
get, loving the feel of her long limbs entwined with mine, her mop of hair
against my own (the relevance of this will be obvious shortly.) Then once presents were opened (books! Make-up!
A fabulous handbag!) the Girl
plonked herself on my knee, and just as I was about to nuzzle into her –
because, really, the only thing more nuzzleable than a 4 year old girl is a 2
year old girl – I noticed something on her head. I blinked and – it was gone, I looked again. I saw it again.
Then it scurried off.
It can’t be nice, if you’re 4, to be
thrown across a room - but sometimes circumstances demand it.
(Remember what we learnt from the Great Car Infestation? Where there’s one, there are many...)
So, to wit “what shall we do with
the kids for the rest of the day if the rain continued”? This:
And this:
And three children and three
adults. And FOUR HOURS.
It was, I think, the most disgusting
parenting task I have ever undertaken.
We were all clear – except for the
Girl, who was most definitely NOT clear – but still my head has not stopped
itching for the day. I itch all over. Surely
it is not right for a lady in the afternoon of her life to spend her birthday
doing such things? It was, quite honestly, the most disgusting
thing I have faced in all of my parenting adventures.
Ugh.
And with that I am off to start
drinking. Those memories of the creepy
crawlies scurrying around her head are not going to erase themselves.
Very sorry. Know all about it.
ReplyDeleteThey are increasingly resistant to anti-lice potions. Keep checking, again and again. Hope you knew to do the diligence at home also....
SO VERY SORRY>>>>>>>
Combing is the only answer. Relentless combing.
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel..
Lice are the absolute worst. Nothing worked for me, except covering my head with olive oil and Saran wrap all night, repeated weekly for a month. Lice shampoos only killed off the weak, creating a super strain. Hopefully you have it easier. If worst comes to worst you can always shave her. Make sure there are no pictures so you can deny it if she later claims it caused emotional scarring. Happy birthday!!!
ReplyDeleteBtw, I have been repeatedly itching my head since reading this
ReplyDeleteI did the same thing two birthdays ago! Very memorable!
ReplyDelete