Monday, 22 December 2014

Spinning rooms (and plates)

Yesterday really was the Sabbath. I may have to decree tomorrow another Sabbath day also, and perhaps the day after – I suspect you won't be hearing from me for a while.   I’ll try, I’ll try, but it’s Christmas, and once the infernal packing is done, I’ll be in holiday mode. (We head to Bali in the morning, I’ve spent the day remembering things to buy then neglecting to buy them:  sun screen;  hair protector;  pro-biotic pills;  travel-sickness  pills; Calpol. As you can see, I’m expecting the worst.)
Today was great, albeit exhausting.  A day trip on a boat out around Singapore’s outlying islands, us and all our visitors.   (The room is swaying slightly was I type – I am the world’s worst sailor – but that could also be the effect of coming home and packing for 3 hours’ straight.)  Entertainment was provided by the Girl who puzzled us all by getting very dressed up for the occasion, and then proceeded to giggle and bat her eyelids at our friends’ eldest boy for the entire trip.  There’s something simultaneously Not Quite Right, but also Very Cute Indeed, about a 4 year-old having a crush on a 9 year-old.  He was divine, played with her the entire day, and she was visibly flushed with happiness.   AND, bonus point, since we’ve been home, all I have to do is say:  “Do you think Jake would like to see you doing that?” and she checks herself immediately.  He’s like a human Elf on the Shelf, only less annoying, and more effective.
Yesterday was the Maid’s day off and I found self in the unusual situation of having to do some laundry.  For the first time since I moved into this apartment.  In fact I didn’t even know how the machine worked – but some things  are latent, and it turns out laundry is one of them.  God, it was hateful though.
Yesterday also marked what I am fearing may be the beginning of the end – of the Baby’s lunchtime nap.  I raced home to put her to bed, and she rewarded me by lying there shouting.  She’s still not the most eloquent of lumps – although her (small) repertoire now includes “cockroach” and “blu tack”, both of which she uses regularly, and with aplomb. Yesterday’s soliloquy went more or less as follows:  “Mum!  MUM!  YES! YESYESYES!  Mimi!  MIMI!  YES! YES MUM, MIMI!” Eventually I went in and there she was, buck-naked, waving her nappy in the air and dancing with her life-sized toy Labrador. She looked a bit startled to see me.  Then:  “WOOF WOOF!  Yes? YES!” 

Right.  I have to get back to packing.  Plus I really am feeling very seasick.  (Note to the Boy – see?  I was right, screen-time IS bad for you.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment