I seem to have created a
vicious-nap-necessitating-circle, which goes as follows: Take a lovely afternoon nap. Wonder why you don’t do it Every Single Day.
Go to bed that night. Wake up at 4am and
stare at the ceiling until 6am. Curse
the nap. Require a nap the following day
to make up for the lack of sleep the previous night. Repeat.
It wasn’t all wasted sleep time, however.
Oh no. I got to spend nearly all
of it convinced my head was a seething writhing mass of lice, a direct result
of having discovered a new batch of God’s
basest creatures on the Girl yesterday evening. So, aside from exhaustion and napping, today
has basically been a never-ending exercise in nit-picking. First I combed; then I picked – BY HAND, gah – then I
conditioned and massaged and combed again.
Then I washed, blow-dried, and ironed the hell out of it. Then I combed, thinking – this is totally
unnecessary. I mean I had quite literally been through her hair
with a fine tooth comb, several times.
But still there were bugs on
the comb. (All this was on the Girl,
btw. The rest of us are bug-free- as far as I know.*)
WTF?
Are they the cockroaches of the scalp?
When we’re all obliterated by Chinese pollution, will aliens find our skeletons
being picked over by hungry lice? They
just won’t go away. I’ve boiled and
washed and ironed everything in sight (hahahaha, I
did nothing of the sort) – except (lightbulb
moment) the school hat.
Anyway, all this will be repeated
tomorrow, with the added benefit of toxic chemicals. The non-toxic ones are, obv, useless. I particularly like this direction on the packaging:
I assume the alternative, if you don't desire to comb them out, is to just
leave them in there, to eventually grow out.
(Or, more likely, hatch, totally unaffected and unscathed.)
It is 10pm, and I have to go listen
to Serial. If you’re a fan, and you haven’t listened yet, have a look at this
first. It’s brilliant. If you HAVE listened, shhhhhhhhhhh – no spoilers please. (But - WHO DID IT?? It was Jay, right?)
(*Scratch scratch)
I have heard that tea tree oil added to shampoo can prevent lice, once you get it all out. Good luck!
ReplyDeletePoor, patient Girl. It' snot a re infestation via school is it?
ReplyDeleteI think it must be. The school signed her off as clear this week, so little critters must have jumped back in.
DeleteWho said anything about her being patient??
http://cherubmamma.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
ReplyDeleteread re lice. this is not my blog.
Good luck