Hello! And happy 2015! So, where were we? Ah, yes, it was New Year’s Eve. And then it was New Year’s Day, and I decided
to abandon my Caring For The Sick duties for an hour or so, and headed out with
our driver (I know!). About
an hour into my Peace and Quiet – about which
I was taking my sweet time - his phone rang. He barked some Bahasa waffle into
it, and hung up. My husband, I mused
aloud, wondering where I am? No, he
responded - it was the villa manager.
They need the car urgently because one of the kids had an accident and
needs to go to hospital.
Well,
that was not at all stressful. For
the next 25 minutes one part of my brain was hoping that the statistics,
stacked against me as owner of 60% of the children, would fail, while the other part berated me for, by default, wishing ill on my nephew and niece. Common sense kicked in tho', when it
dawned on me that of course it was
the Girl who’d fallen or tripped or bashed herself in the eye with a bat.
Without wishing to put her in a box, if she was
put in a box she’d fall out of it and break a tooth. As it turned out, I was right – she’d
tripped and split her chin, and so I got straight back in the car and off we
crawled through the deeply annoying Bali traffic to hospital.
We
left the next day, the sick and the weak and the injured, and climbed aboard an
Air Asia flight over the Java Sea to Singapore.
The plane shook and bounced around like a tin can, and I swear, every
single person on board held their respective breaths for the entire
journey (except for my children who demanded apple juice, and fought over the ipad, and all announced bursting bladders at precisely the same time as the seat-belt sign was turned on, etc). And then – phew – we were safe
and sound, and HOME. (Say what you will
about sterile Singapore, but when you’ve spent what feels like 80% of every day
in another Asian country sitting in unmoving traffic on roads made from spit
and sawdust, it is somewhat joyous to
get back here.) Santa had been and there was much initial excitement (which in
retrospect was more likely a bed-time procrastination technique), however since
then, and in line with a recent Onion-esque headline, 100% of children are
totally ignoring their Christmas presents.
(Actually, what it should read is: “100% of children are more inclined
to bicker and fight than deign to glance at their Christmas presents”).
And now the
Man has buggered off to London for TWO WEEKS (in his defence he’s not just
going to London for a jolly - he’s going skiing in France for a weekend too)
and the kids are still on The School Holidays Which Will Never End, and the
Baby has decided that as she’s suddenly all lanky and skinny, it’s time she joined
in the intra-sibling violence.
However. It is not all hideousness. Some light relief in the form of the Boy,
when, at the weekend, atop a tall building and looking down I remarked that I
had the willies, he responded: “Don’t be
silly Mum, you have the vaginas.” And
then there’s always parenting mortification to distract one from Holiday
Hell. In the lift today, a nice (I
thought) lady asked me what floor I wanted.
7 please. She pressed 6. “What apartment are you in?”; I told her.
“Oh, you’re directly above me.
You’re children are very... lively....”
“Ah, yes” I smiled, and rolled my
eyes and grimaced a bit, in a conspiratorial, aren’t-they-shocking sort of
way. “Maybe you should get some
furniture. It sounds as if you don’t
have any.” “Really?” “Yes, it sounds
very... empty. And energetic.”
“Oh. We have furniture. Generally they’re jumping on it. Or pushing
each other off it.” She didn’t
laugh. Thankfully, the World’s Longest
Lift Ride came to an end, and she stepped out, shaking her head, and saying “So
very lively. More furniture I think.”
And
then when I got in to the apartment I discovered that a bird had gotten into
the Boy’s room and shat all over it, and I found self wishing that we didn’t
have any furniture, or at the very least none in that particular room. Also, somewhat bizarrely, the Boy REFUSED to
accept that it was bird-shit, insisting instead that it was melted chocolate. Because, you know, it’s
so much more likely that melted chocolate dropped from the ceiling and splattered
all over his room, than that a poor stupid bird managed to get through the
half-inch window-space, crap everywhere, and then squeeze out again. My parenting day ended a couple of hours ago
with a game of backgammon with the Boy, and further humiliation. (He's six. He learnt to play YESTERDAY. He clearly cheated.)
Ah,
it’s good to be home.
ummm ... could it be a reptile world gecko/lizard thing rather than a bird.... or would that be a worse idea. In which I am sorry for raising question.... But most birds leave white deposits not chocolate looking ones where I have lived.......
ReplyDeleteSO SORRY!
And glad you are back to writing. I have been waiting for you with a blue face from holding my breath...
You know, I wondered that myself. But if so it was a very agile lizard. Maybe it was melted chocolate after all?
Delete