Baby update. She starts nursery next week! Holy moly. That
light at the end of the tunnel just got a whole lot closer. Just two mornings a week, so hardly opening up
a whole new world for me, but still. Two will become three, will become five, will be boarding school before she knows it. (That’s what she gets for coming out with
this, after months of us yearning for a full sentence from her: “YOU NO COME MY PARTY!” Any slight, and we
are NFI’d. “Me have party. Big
party. Big Amow-Woof-Woof party. Dada come.
Yaya come. Deddie come. MAMA NO
COME. Mama MEAN.” )
In other news, we fled Singapore
last week, three hours’ drive up the
Malaysian coast. So, if you live in London
(and managed to find a time of day with no traffic, and a route with no road
works) it’s a bit like you driving to... Poole?
Weymouth? Anyway, somewhere
coastal and beachy. Which is, I think,
where the similarities end.
(Listen, if I can’t show off on my
own blog, where can I do it?) Of course,
because we had children with us, it was less Paradise, more Paradise Lost. The usual refereeing and cajoling and berating
and trying to work out the best sleeping arrangements, and cut feet and insect
bites and sunscreen in the eyes etc. Also,
the most atrocious table manners I’ve seen outside of the zoo’s Orang Utan
enclosure. But still, LOOK AT IT:
(If you want to know why we moved to Asia,
that is why.)
Much excitement when we got home –
not least because we’d had a return car journey devoid of any vomit – to find
that these little balcony dwellers (aren’t nests amazing? How do they do it? I’ve
got hands and opposable thumbs and I can barely make my bed*):
Had turned into this:
I must admit to having gotten a
teeny bit choked up. Little babies! But then I got a grip and called the nursery
to confirm the Baby’s start date. AND
THEN, giddy with the whiff of FREEDOM I went online and looked up jobs. But it turns out that I am good for nothing,
and so I did something equally optimistic, and loaded a few books onto my
Kindle.
First up: Elizabeth Is Missing – about an old woman
losing her marbles who spends a lot of time shouting at her daughter. Hmmm.
(*Theoretically speaking, of course...)
Elizabeth is Missing really got to me but it has its maddening aspects as well. Much like life, now that I think about it.
ReplyDeleteOoooh, loved Elizabeth is Missing. Thought it would be fluffier and more first bookish, but it managed to mix claustrophobia, wistfulness, and relief rather well.
ReplyDeleteHow can the baby be starting nursery???
ReplyDeleteDoes this mean she is due a new name?
Dale and Andi - agree with you both. It got under my skin, and was quite unsettling. (Also, I spent half the time shouting at the daughter about BEING PATIENT (I know, the irony / hypocrisy) and the other half thinking - Jesus, it'd be like having a full grown toddler to mind. And then - that will probably me me. Very soon. Now why did I come into this room..) Hannah - I know! TOMRORROW! We could call her any variation of monikers demoting fury, loudness, stuborness, more fury. But there's the danger then that that wouldn't properly distinguish her from her siblings. We'll leave it at the Baby for the moment, and one of these days I'll be inspired. (Or maybe not.)
ReplyDeleteCan I ask where exactly this is three hours drive away?.... Thanks looks awesome
ReplyDeleteWow, the beach looks pristine. Where is this in Malaysia? Would love to drive up form Singapore too. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteClaire & Anon, it's Batu Batu, nr Mersing. Absolutely gorgeous, but you need to book waaaaay in advance (grrrr)
Delete