Toddlers are totally insane aren’t
they? This isn’t exactly news to me, but
the sheer magnitude of the insanity is more obvious the third time around –
possibly because when the Boy was 2½ I had an 8 month old to deal with, and
when the Girl was that age I had (HORROR) a newborn. (And a 4 year old. HOW DID I DO IT??) Now I have a small crazy person who exists in an orb of craziness containing only herself.
Here she is – proof of the dementia:
That photo wasn’t staged, by the way
– she hissed until I passed her the teeth and popped them in all by herself. (She’s been hissing – and spitting – ever since
she saw Jurassic Park last week*; seems
that the large spitting dinosaurs made quite the impression on her.) Then she wore them for two hours, drool
running down her face the entire time. (Also, that photo, teeth aside, isn't very flattering. She is really quite cute. We just have to remember not to put her in the Boy's scraggy old pjs and to brush her hair occasionally.)
Like all the best mad people, she likes to collect things - in this case, cats – stuffed,
plastic, paper, wooden – and carries as many as she can around with her at all
times. They are all called “Am-ow”, the name solemnly declared after protracted
thought. "Am-ow" is actually her favourite word. We play an after-dinner game,
whereby I ask the kids three questions (eg: What would you eat for your last
dinner? What will you be when you grow
up? Who do you love more, Mum or Dad?),
and to these questions, every single time she answers – deadly serious – “Am-ow
Woof Woof.” The other kids then shriek with glee and the Baby stands up in her
high chair and takes a bow. It’s fucking
hilarious.
Her madness comes into its own at
bedtime – when, unsurprisingly, she refuses
to go to bed until the others are
going too. This, I think, is at
the root of her very being: she thinks
she is one of them – older, calmer, in need of less sleep. So I lie on my bed reading bedtime stories at
730pm – half an hour after the Baby’s bedtime - the Boy snuggling on one side,
the Girl on the other, and the Baby sprawled on top of me, wriggling unceasingly, cackling manically
and periodically ripping pages out of the book.
Then we have the great Go To Bed Charade, where the Boy and the Girl
pretend to go to bed, and I whisk the Baby off to her room, zip her up into her
bag (inside out and backwards), tuck her in with her retinue of cats, and begin
the process of... emptying her room of everything in it. She’s very polite about it – sits up in bed
pointing at objects, banishing them for the night. “Aaaaaaaand... DAT! Da, Mama. Aaaaaaand... DAT! Da, Mama. Aaaaaaand... DAT! Da, Mama.”
(She is nothing if not well mannered.) Then, once the room is suitably empty, she lies back down, pulls
the blankets up over her face, and whispers to all of the Am-ows; when I go
to check on her later on, she’s lying there, still under the blanket, a halo of
stuffed cats encircling her. It’s very
sweet.
I’m tempted to wish that it
continues for as long as possible, but I think that only a 2 year old can get
away with it. Any older and it stops
being funny and sweet and becomes... troubling.
Anyway. All this because it struck me today that she is now the oldest youngest child I have ever had. That teeny speck of light in the distance? That is the end of the tunnel my friends... I am both jubilant and a little bit sad.
*What? Jurassic Park is TOTALLY appropriate for a 2 year
old. It's the 4 and 6 year olds who've been having the nightmares...
I spent a reeeeely long time looking at that picture before I read any words, trying to be kind about the Baby's teeth.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU for writing and sharing the laughter.
ReplyDeleteLittle love! Cor, aren't we lucky?
ReplyDeletePS. I can't watch Jurassic Park, but my daughters tell me the best bit is the man eaten on the loo...
Megan - I just realised that I never overtly stated that THESE ARE NOT HER REAL TEETH. Sorry about that. Carlie - indeed it is the best bit. Especially as he DESERVED to die, for being a run-away coward.
ReplyDeleteI loved this, so so funny and so so true x
ReplyDeletehttp://mama-of-boys.blogspot.co.uk/
If you haven't read them already, Hens Dancing and Summertime by Rafaella Barker have 'The Beauty' in them, the baby of the family who has some resemblance to your wee girl...(and all insane toddlers, who are all insane in their own wonderful ways; my son, now 5's best friend is 'shawlie' - shawls knitted by my mum, thankfully interchangeable; shawlie has his/her own personality and always has done, and I'm sorry to say it, but he/she's kind of EVIL...and (apparently) 'likes cricket' (even though we have no interest in it, being Scottish...))
ReplyDeleteAwwwwwwwwwww end of tunnel sadness (have similar coming up here and whilst I'm DONE part of me regrets it has crept up on me)
ReplyDeleteOur baby has teeth like that (well, one) but it is actually real. Shoved back up and inside, and now growing out. I am jealous that your baby has to fake it. HOW CUTE THO?
ReplyDelete