It’s Saturday, which is my favourite
day of the week. That honour used to
fall to Mondays, with the kids back at school after two days of me Surviving
Parenthood, but in the past few months Mondays have become a never-ending
stream of racing-around horror, ferrying kids to and from school and to appointments
and classes, ferrying myself to the supermarket, and all the teeth-grinding hell
which goes with all of the above.
Anyway, now I have a new Saturday morning routine spurred by the Boy’s obsession
with rugby (how delighted is he to hold an Irish passport?), which manifested
itself in him DEMANDING to join a rugby club.
I ignored him, as I usually do my children when they demand things which
involve down-payments and invoices and more ferrying around and the purchase of
gear (especially when that gear includes kids’ rugby boots, of which
approximately two pairs a year are available to buy in Singapore), but then the
Man mentioned that he’d like to bring him to a class, and I found out that a
team quite far away has 2-hr classes at 9am on Saturday mornings, which would
necessitate all the males in the house being out from 830am until 1130am...
Sold! to the middle-aged woman weeping with joy at the prospect of some TIME
ALONE.
So this is what we now do on
Saturday mornings. On Friday nights I
set the kids’ Gro Clock to 8am, and give them strict instructions NOT TO COME
NEAR ME UNTIL THE (digital) SUN IS UP. At
8.30am, having made snacks and filled water bottles and packed kit into bags, I
wave the Boy and Man off, and once I’m sure they’ve properly gone, I run out –
to the extent that anyone can run in this humidity - and buy the weekend
Financial Times – the only non-Singaporean weekend paper* available in our
local shop. Then I come home and make
myself a pot of proper tea, with proper tea-leaves and $500/litre milk, and lock myself, my tea and my paper on my
balcony for an hour. Every so often one of the girls escapes the clutches of
both the tv and the maid and manages to prise the lock open, but a quick shriek
is usually enough to send them back inside.
And there I sit, content despite my light sheen of sweat, reading about handmade
winter coats, quantitative easing, and what various CEOs like to eat for lunch.
It’s wonderful – as close to
perfection as you can get when you’re sweating involuntarily.
Which brings me – lengthily, and
circuitously – to today’s topic: “Mom” jeans. Oh
yes. Mentioned in today’s FT, so it must
be true. According to my favourite pink
paper, a “mom jean” is: “a classic high-rise tapered cut”.
I'm confused. Is the idea that you’re wearing your own
mother’s jeans - akin to the Boyfriend jeans? Which – with all due respect to
my mother (and mothers everywhere) – is most unlikely to ever happen. Or is it a “jean” made specifically for us
mammies, practical and useful, designed to minimise the daily minor embarrassments
and mortifications which comprise motherhood?
In which case quite honestly, a high-rise tapered cut just isn’t –
excuse the pun – going to cut it.
And so, dear Reader, – I give you:
The Mum Jean:
Made from sturdy denim which has
been treated to be wipe-clean and splatter resistant, the Mum is the first jean
incorporating shock-absorbing pads in the ever-vulnerable groin area – so now
your toddler can head-butt you to his heart’s content!
Other features include:
- An elasticated waist– because who has time to do up zips and buttons when your children are in the next room tearing chunks out of each other, or when you've gone for a pee for the first time in 11 hours and your offspring have climbed into the bath and are spraying water all over the bathroom?
- Built in, removable knickers – never again will you have to hold a screaming infant in a public toilet while trying to pull down, inch by torturous inch, your jeans and then your knickers; our built-in “knicker” works in conjunction with our elasticated waist to facilitate all situations when the speedy pulling-down of pants with one hand is required. (Each jean comes with 3 replaceable pairs of greying granny pants.)
- Side pleats at hip / thigh level, to accommodate the vagrancies of the condition known as Expanding Mother’s Arse
- Removable muslin cloth – handy for emergencies involving body fluids, but can also be used to drape over your head during bouts of particularly mortifying kiddie behaviour
- Discreet wipe-dispensing pouch
- Refrigerated snack pocket – with child-friendly access
- Water-proof, leak-proof, smell-proof, extra-volume, sick pocket – available in a range of leg locations, depending on height of off-spring
- USB port – never be caught in a public place with an uncharged tablet again
- Water-proof turn-ups – perfect for the constant stream of used shit your children hand you to dispose of. Now simply train them to place it in your turn-ups instead!
Available in a variety of colours,
including vomit, snot, spit, grime, and camouflage, the Mum jean can be worn for
months on end without ever needing the washing machine.
We think you’ll agree that it kicks
a classic high-rise tapered cut to the curb somewhat.
*Surely you should integrate
yourself properly in your new country and read a local paper? I hear you all cry; ah yes.
But unfortunately all the local papers are a heap of badly-written, poorly
edited, highly-censored shit, and so for a decent morning’s read, I must look
further afield.
Circuitous is good. I'm too lazy to be circuitous. (As in, I once walked across the middle of an athletics track and lost one life when a hammer landed beside me). Tally ho.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! I need a pair of those soonest!
ReplyDeleteLaughing! How well I remember public-loo peeing with two toddlers...your jeans would've saved a nasty 'pink nappies mummy!' moment. God damn those grizzly bins.
ReplyDeleteoh newspapers here are terrible arent they? i treat myself to the english sunday times every so often but its just not the same as popping out to get a paper whenever you feel like it. thank god for the internet.
ReplyDeleteThere's the next million-pound idea! Much, much more useful than Boyfriend Jeans.
ReplyDeleteWhy don't you get a real (or well...) lovely English paper on the iPad?
ReplyDeleteAnd... The Dutch brand Anecdote does really nice jeans with, really, an elasticated band around the top. Saves a valuable 4 seconds every time I visit the loo. And that's quite often.
You know, I thought about it. But I just like the feel of the paper, turning the pages, scanning the whole thing to see how the various stories / reports/ features fit in with each other. Real papers - esp weekend versions - are just a nicer experience I think. And the FT is great. And pink too, which is VERY important in this girl-heavy house.
ReplyDelete