Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Braces & Lentils

It was the 31st of March recently, which meant I had one day to get all my New Year’s resolutions done.  (I’ve decided that March is a far more sophisticated timeframe for personal growth than January.  January sucks, for many reasons;  let’s not add self-loathing and despair at one’s lack of discipline to the list.)  Top of the To Do list – or bottom, depending on whether you rate it according to its importance, or my totally unreasonable fear of addressing it  - was visiting an orthodontist.  Yes, braces!  Because nothing says “yoof” like a mouthful of metal.  (In truth, nothing says Middle Age like retreating teeth.)
Which is how I found myself today lying flat on my back with my mouth wedged open, and the following thoughts to entertain me:
  • God I hope that TV is securely fastened to the ceiling.  It’s right above my head. What if it falls?  Will they replace my broken teeth for free?
  • You know, for an orthodontist, he doesn’t have very nice teeth. 
  • For an orthodontist’s assistant, nor does she.
  • Are they actually orthodontists at all?
  • What is that TV programme RIGHT ABOVE MY HEAD about? 
  • Jesus is that... yes!  It is!  It’s A COLONOSCOPY!  ON TV!
  • I think I’ll just look at the assistant’s manky teeth for a bit.
  • Why is there a vibrator in my mouth?
  • Oh look!  They’ve made a computerised model of my teeth!   Where was the gooey putty stuff that used to make me gag?
  • Christ.  I really need to get my teeth done.
  • And that woman on the TV needs to eat more fibre.

Speaking of which,  I’ve become a bit obsessed recently with tinned puy (green) lentils.  The posh organic ones, which you lot can pick up for 97p in any corner shop, but for which I have to take out a mortgage and drive to the other side of Singapore.
I don’t have a photo – because I keep eating it before I remember to take a pic – but it’s my new easy lunch: drain, rinse, plonk in a bowl, add a handleful of anything green (parsley, chopped cucumber, whatever) and – this bit is fairly key – warm vinaigrette. Which sounds quite complex, but it just means taking a vinaigrette (put a couple of glugs of olive oil in a cup, one glug of vinegar, and a teaspoon of mustard, and stir) and popping it in the microwave for ten seconds.   Pour over your legumes, and gobble.  

(Warning – braces + lentils = unsightly. If you are a yoof, or are of a certain age and trying to sidestep the inevitable decline which marks that certain age, keep a toothpick handy at all times.) 

6 comments:

  1. Two nights ago I had dream about two my teeth (the ones they make look like fangs on vampire shows) were coming loose. I've had losing your teeth dreams but this was awful. They eventually came out and I felt like I had to go find my mom and then all of my front top teeth began crumbling. At one point I thought "I've dreamed about this sort of thing so it mustn't be real" but then it just got worse.

    Just thought I share since your topic was teeth and that dream legit scared the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, dreams about teeth falling out is anxiety about getting old... (Wonder what dreams about biting your son's ear-lobes off mean? Yikes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My classmates got a special toothbrush, and they were able to eat most anything they wanted! Lentils are awesome. My husband got diagnosed with high blood pressure, and his doctor suggested a vegetarian diet, so that is my favorite affordable meal to fix! I can't wait to try the lentil dressing recipe, but it sure sounds complicated (wink wink).

    Christy Hodges @ Smile Designers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just remember that any fibrous foods will have the “lentil effect” with braces. This includes broccoli, spinach, nuts, and cake with coconut frosting. The cure is to always have a drink handy when enjoying a meal. Take a second to secretly swish after every few bites. This way, you'll get your proper daily liquid intake as well. One more thing—wean yourself off of chewing gum.

    Dora Ingram @ CGDDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a SLAVE to the drink trick Dora, thank you. As for chewing gum - moving to Singapore weaned me off it already...

      Delete
  5. Haha! This is great. I am not a huge fan of lentils and after reading this post I can say that I'm still not a big fan. I remember how difficult it was eating certain foods with braces on years ago when I was a teenager. I hope that your adventures with braces continue to give you "joy".

    Sharon Woods @ Fall Spark Dentistry

    ReplyDelete