Friday, 24 April 2015

Just another everyday school run.


In the car this morning: 

Girl:  Let’s have a ghost story!
Me:  No. Way.
Girl & Boy (together, difficult to differentiate):  Please! Why not?? PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE! WHY NOT?
Me:  Because the last time we had a ghost story, you (glancing at the Girl) started to cry, and you (glancing at the Boy) wouldn’t go to bed on your own that night. 
Girl & Boy (deflated): Oh.
Baby:  Kessuns!  KESSUNS!
Girl & Boy:  Yes!  Questions!
Me:   Ok.  Um... What is your favourite movie?
Baby:  Jassick Pak! 
Girl:  Star Wars!
Baby:  JASS-ICK PAK!
Boy: Godzilla!
Me: You haven’t seen Godzilla.
Boy:  But I would do if you weren’t SO MEAN, and it’s still my favourite film.  WHICH YOU WON'T LET ME SEE.  
Baby:  JASS-ICK PAK!  No, weet...  In-yany Zone!  INYANY -ZONE!
Girl:  Which one Moog – Raiders of the Lost Arc, Temple of Doom or the Lost Crusade?
Boy:  It’s the LAST Crusade
Baby:  Umm... TEMPA-DOOM!  MORE KESSUNS!
Me:  Ok, um... What do you think is the yuckiest smell?
Baby (Gleefully): Woof woof!
Boy (More gleefully): Bum! 
Baby (More gleefully still): Woof woof bum! YUCKY!
Girl (Ernestly): Penis.
Pause.
Me (Brightly):  Right! Music?
Baby:  Music!  MUSIC!  Fow-now-cow-dow!
Girl:  No!  I hate that!
Baby:  FOWNOWCOWDOW!
Boy:  Yes Mum, PLEASE!
Baby (I swear):  Da-na-na-naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa FOWNOWCOWDOW!

And so it came to pass that I arrived at school with Europe blaring out of the car, two of the three children competing to see who could bang their heads the fastest, one contemplating scent-of-a-penis, and me reconsidering my stance on the school bus. 


4 comments:

  1. Temple of Doom was by far the best Indiana Jones film - good choice Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing so hard that my daughter is concerned about my mental health. Love your kids, love your writing. SJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally need to say thank you again for the Christmas gift of writing every day. For what ever reasons this December was really hard...and you got me through it day by day. Most of us sometimes wonder if what we do makes a difference....now you know. You made a difference. THANK YOU.
    PS: Car pool driving even if the pool is all your own children is an awesome listening event! I remembered in reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Anon, bless you. What a nice message. You're so so welcome.

      Delete