It’s been another poxy weekend. The hand foot & mouth has, thankfully,
been banished; alas, tonsillitis – my tonsillitis
– has replaced it. I’ve never had tonsillitis before. My sister, I recall vaguely, used to get it
as a child, and I assumed it was more or less a sore throat, with a bit of a
complaining and malingering thrown in for good measure. (Sorry Rache.
It may have taken 35 years but I get it now.) Bloody hell it’s
awful. I’m no longer collapsing every
time I stand up, and sweating or shivering (or both) every time I lie down, but
it’s still awful.
Added to the pain and the all-encompassing
STARVATION – because what the tonsillitis fairies don’t tell you is that everything
you eat is akin to shredded glass – is, at least in our family, the ritual humiliation
by the small people. Dropping the kids
off to school today, in a fug of fever and malnourishment-induced wooziness,
the Girl turned to hug me and then backed away in obvious disgust, stating “your smell” as the
reason. (As a courtesy to my children,
and any innocent passers-by, I had in fact showered– my first in three days! which
hurt my skin - but apparently My Smell
lingered.) Then this evening the Boy
told me that my breath smelt of “rotten spit”, which is always nice to
hear. On the plus side, I then
threatened him with My Breath if he misbehaved, which of course he did immediately, at which point I held him
down and breathed into his face, and watched as he turned gratifyingly green. I
guess there are some upsides to tonsillitis.
Another upside was that I rediscovered
my old, but fabulous, blender – forced, as I was, into the furthest corner of a
dank kitchen cupboard by a growling stomach and a yearning for something icy
and slushy. Since Friday night I have
been subsisting on smoothies and gazpacho.
(And paracetomol, and some sort of antibiotics. Also, today, a culinary breakthrough: mashed potatoes! Which were heaven itself.) My smoothies have all been taking the form of
banana, some sort of frozen fruit (strawberries, the most seeded raspberries
known to man, or mango), yoghurt, and orange juice. I’m stuck in a smoothie rut somewhat, so if
anyone has any good recipes (which don’t necessitate sieving, or listening to
children complain about THE PIPS) please let me know.
Gazpacho however... Ah. Basically a
vegetable smoothie with some olive oil and vinegar. And ice - blessed, blessed, ice. Here’s how I made it (totally off the top of
my head, so apologies to all you proper cooks):
(If anyone has a more disgusting counter-top, I'd be curious to see it.)
Into the blender I put: 1 chopped up red pepper (deseeded, but not peeled. Life is too short.); a tin of plum tomatoes (HERESY, I know. It’s
easy tho’); half a clove of garlic; one cucumber, peeled, deseeded (very
roughly, using the back of a spoon) and chopped; about ten tablespoons of olive oil, and about
5 of balsamic vinegar. (You can use any
vinegar. I used balsamic because it’s
the least astringent, and my throat, my
throat...). Blend until smooth, pour
over ice, and... Eat? Drink?
Consume.
Then go breathe garlic – and rotten
spit – all over your astonishingly loud, and sick-bed-unfriendly, children. Or indeed anyone else who is foolish enough
to cross your germ-ridden path.
Avocados are good in smoothies too, especially if you need some extra cals. Blend with banana, blueberries, some lemon or orange juice and plain yoghurt. Feel better! Tonsilitis is always horrible.
ReplyDeleteA (very generous) handful of oats in most smoothies also makes them seem a bit more like food rather than just a drink and leaves you feeling fuller for longer as it bumps up the fibre content.
ReplyDeleteI remember having tonsillitis as a child and being desperate to have to have them out, only to turn the corner on decision day three weeks in - furious at missing out on a hospital stay (still hasn't happened!) and the accompanying ice cream just doesn't cover it!
I, too, have breathed horrible Dragon Breath on my children when they have misbehaved. Being sick when the children are well is horrible! I hope the antibiotics work soon, and you can go back to solid food.
ReplyDeleteI soak a slice or two of bread in my gazpacho before blending it. It makes it really smooth. Although I don't think that would work in a fruit smoothie!
ReplyDelete