The pox continues. This time it is airborne, and ubiquitous: The Haze is in town, all guns blazing. When I
mentioned it before, I think the pollution reading was at 150 or similar. That’s in the “Unhealthy” range. To give you an idea of how bad it’s been, it
is currently at 202, and having been exposed (literally) to readings of over
400 at the weekend (300+ is “GET OUT OF TOWN”, so I imagine 400 is “Would you prefer
cremation or burial?”), I am now, like most people, totally blasé about todays’
reading. 202? Ha! I SPIT IN YOUR UNHEALTHY FACE. (Well. I would spit, if my mask had a
spitting hole in it.)
Apart from the hassle of poisoning
yourself every time you breathe, the Haze brings with it a far greater
discomfort: Schools are being shut
down. Egro, children are at home – All.
The. Time. Add to this mix: sickness, a travelling Man, and just constant,
never-ending parenting – and I was feeling quite a bit sorry for myself last
weekend. (I heard of schools which
remained open, but gave parents the
option to keep the kids at home– which some
parents chose to do. Nothing short of napalm would stop me from depositing
my children off for the day. And then,
only if it was a direct hit.)
Anyway, I have found through my many
years of self-sorrow and parenthood (generally hand in hand) that there is
little which a dish made almost entirely from cream and butter won’t
resolve. I put this to the test the
other night, and am pleased to say that, coupled with a glass of red wine, the
world lost its noxious Tupperware sheen, and the stars shone brightly. At least in my head.
Creamy
Mushrooms on Toast
(If you’re feeling fancy you could
serve this on brioche or some sort of posh bread, but this is Singapore, so
let’s not get carried away with ourselves.
Alternatively, I seem to recall a similar River Cafe recipe involving
wet polenta, but cf ref to Singapore (and also toast is so much quicker and
easier, and involves a lot less stirring.) You could of course just eat it in a
bowl all on its ownsome, but you need something soft and bready to mop up the
puddles of creamy deliciousness which
linger at the bottom of the bowl. And
now my mouth is running.)
You need: for 1 (dressed in pyjamas, or some sort of
unattractive “leisure-wear”. Because
your spouse is away and you’ve been indoors all day, and you haven’t got the
energy for things such as grooming or dressing)
- A couple of handfuls of regular garden-variety mushrooms, wiped clean
- Olive oil and a large slab of butter (at least a tablespoon’s worth)
- A small clove of garlic
- A splash of wine (or water, if your lifestyle does not necessitate post-kiddie-bedtime pain-relief)
- A glug of cream (any type, the thicker and fresher, the better)
- A handful of chopped parsley
- Buttered toast.
Put a slug of olive oil and the slab
of butter in a saucepan and put over a
low heat.
While it’s melting / heating,
roughly chop the mushrooms.
Add to the pan, stirring to cover in
melted butter.
Increase heat until they start to
sizzle, grate or crush the garlic clove directly into pan, then cover and set
heat to low. Leave to cook for about 5
minutes.
Add a slug of wine or water – most
of it should evaporate, but you want some to remain. When it starts to bubble slightly, add the
cream – how much depends on how creamy you want the sauce to be, I used about 5
tablespoons’ worth - and stir.
Turn the heat off, add the chopped
parsley, and stir through. Taste – if
you think it’s missing something or it seems overly rich (HOW??), add a squeeze
of lemon. Season with salt and pepper,
if needed.
Pile onto hot buttered toast, pour
yourself a generous glass of wine, grab a book, and somehow arrange all three*
and yourself on a sofa, without spilling
a thing. Drink a toast to absent spouses
and sleeping children. Remove mask and tuck in.
(*Put the toast / mushrooms on a
plate, maybe.)
I've been thinking about you all. The smog is bad enough to make the news in the U.S. (Which usually bumps international news in favor of some ludicrous celebrity.). It's terrible that the schools are shut down!
ReplyDeleteOn the upside, that mushroom dish looks amazing. I may have to go buy mushrooms today.
Aw, thanks Nicole! It's really bad, mass depression amongst everyone but particularly stay-at-home-parents... Gin is becoming a valuable commodity.
DeleteOoh! My spouse is away. I'm wearing bad leisure wear (in my defence I was playing netball earlier. Although that's probably not much of a defence given that I haven't showered yet) and I have mushrooms in the fridge... Sadly it's now gone 11 pm and I really should go to bed.
ReplyDeleteThat's the peril of starting blogging again (which I'm not saying I have, but...). You get lost catching up on what people have been up to. And here I am.
Mostly catching up (starting here) but also to let you know that I have tagged you in a very old style blogging award (which is what forced me to put fingers to keyboard for the first time in over fifteen months). Take part or not as you wish, but it is nice to be back!
You're back! Good. So, 7 unimagineable (sp?) truths? Gosh, that will entail thinking, which requires peace and quiet, not commodities I am overly familiar with. Also, I suspect there's really not much unimagineable about me. I'll see what I can dig up from the dusty recesses of my addled mind.
DeleteHey! I came over from Harriet's because of the award thing. I'm adding you to my reader. I know too much about comfort eating with a glass of wine when husband is abroad and children are too much. Lovely post.
ReplyDeleteThank you - and welcome! Pour yourself a glass of wine (or Belgian beer - lucky you) and let us indulge in absent-spouse-comfort-eating-and-drinking. Once the kids are in bed, obv.
DeleteSo I made this for my dinner the other night. It was delicious. Thank-you for the recipe.
ReplyDelete