So I followed the wise and most-appreciated
suggestions of some of you to get self – and more importantly the kittens – to a
vet STRAIGHT AWAY, and left feeling like one of those women who post questions on
FB forums such as: “My newborn baby has been vomiting for 6 days now and his
breathing has been funny. Any ideas
anyone? Should I bring him to the doctor
or wait and see for a few more days?”
(For the record, this isn’t entirely off the top of my wino head; this sort of thing pops up on forums here a
LOT, often followed with a request for information about a cheap doctor, “because
doctors here are so expensive, LOL”.)
Anyway, it turns out that the prolific,
prodigious poo, swollen tummies (oh, I didn’t mention that, did I) and
chronic flatulence (a new development, tho in this house with my children it
could have been there undetected since they arrived) was NOT RIGHT, and I left
armed with antibiotics and some sort of feline Imodium. (Also, with two vaguely
traumatised cats; if you think that the
look on your child’s face when you insert a suppository is funny, you should
see (and hear) how cats react to up-the-bum thermometers. I’m counting on the vet assuming that my
laughter was the nervous, and not the humoured, type. [Tho it was most def the latter].)
Anyhoo, imagine this. There is a sick hen in your kitchen. You have to catch the sick hen, cover it in
oil, then give it a bath. Twice. THAT is
what feeding medicine to these cats is like.
It took two experienced vets several (messy) attempts to complete the
task, while I looked on, fascinated and horrified in equal measure. “You want me to do that?” I asked; evidently,
they did. Twice a day, for a week. “You’ll
get used to it,” the head vet said, as she removed her industrial strength
protection gloves.
At some point I am going to have to
admit to my husband that he was right, I really hadn’t thought this through
very well (if at all).
Oh well. It’s a beautiful evening, the children are
having their TV fix, I am on the balcony with a glass of chilled (but rapidly
less so) wine in hand, the cats are in a suitcase under the bed (by their own volition,
I should add) and I’m ignoring my OCD and have decided that the kitty litter
can wait. For a few minutes anyway.
Oh dear - you've ended up with kittens too? I accidentally got emotionally blackmailed into two and now spend my evenings working at my kitchen table trying to persuade them to not eat my laptop or drop onto my head from great heights... it's fun
ReplyDeleteWrap cat/kitten in a towel or pillowcase. Firmly. It. Is. For. Their. Own. Good. Take prisoners. Administer medicine.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck. They will be fun eventually.