Wednesday, 25 November 2015

Naked Men & Confessions.

I promised my friend N that today’s post would mention the half-naked assistant in a furniture shop we happened upon. Half-naked shop assistants aren’t that common here, however half-naked middle-aged men, usually sweaty, pretty filthy, and sucking on a cigarette, are.  So we weren’t entirely surprised to be confronted by one as we went about our ex-patty business.  We just didn’t really expect one to suddenly pop up between a wardrobe and a chest of drawers.   It was quite the juxtaposition to the morning we’d just spent in a posh Scandinavian design shop surrounded by other ex-pats, learning how to style ourselves “this season”. Which amused me greatly, because (a) unless the styling tips include “scrape your hair back into a pony tail” and “make sure you’re wearing matching flip flops”, it’s really not for me,  and (b) WHO IS LOOKING AT ME ANYWAY?      
Now I’m home and need to ‘fess up that I am breaking my self-imposed Blogvember, instead devoting the next four days to Giving Thanks that we are a hop & skip away from this place, and furthermore, that I had the foresight to book it back in January.  It’s not all fun and games, however.   As well as The Evil Packing lurking over my shoulder,  I also have to show the maid “how to look after the cats”.  Which both she and I know really means “how to pick their crap out of a box of sand”.  She is about as enthralled by this as I would expect an employee to be when their job description is suddenly so extended.
In literary news, all my friends are agreed that Go Set A Watchman was an appalling pile of drivel, and HOW AWFUL to be the person who wrote one of the most revered books of all time, and spend the next 50 years listening to people whisper that you weren’t up to another one, and then proving them all right. So I need a book recommendation for my holidays, please?  (And in saying that, I’ve ensured that I won’t get 5 minutes to myself between now and Monday.)
Happy Thanksgiving, to those of you who celebrate it, and to everyone else, you’ve only 4 days left if you want to get your Christmas shopping done by December.  Just saying.  

6 comments:

  1. I love Wolf Hall so much. Less dense favorites include The Magician's Assistant (Patchett) and Seabiscuit (Hillenbrand). Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on WolfHall. I'm now watching the tv adaption for the second time. Also loved Seabiscuit. Haven't read Magician's Assistant (will do). 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Wolf Hall, and also the sequel, Bring Up the Bodies. Life After Life was great (Kate Atkinson). All the Light We Cannot See and Euphoria were both good easier reads. Am currently reading and enjoying Americanah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finishing My Brilliant Friend! Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finishing My Brilliant Friend! Loving it.

    ReplyDelete