So here I am over at Mumfidential, spouting
off about having three children.
(Incidentally, they changed it slightly to make it seem as if I chose to have three children, and thus
am in some way responsible for the havoc that is now my life, as opposed to be
entirely irresponsible [and strangely, as a result, entirely
responsible for said havoc]). Also,
look at how FABULOUS I* look! Both the
Boy and the Baby are pretty happy with how they’ve turned out too. (The Girl -
not so much.)
In other media news: an amusing
tale. Almost two years ago – HOW?? – when we were packing
up to move here, we had removal people doing the move for us. It’s all a total blur now, but I do have a
very vivid memory of being cornered in the kitchen by the packers, me
frantically wiping down surfaces and dishes and throwing out perfectly good food (blissfully unaware
that that lump of cheese would cost about $400 here), them grabbing and packing and rolling their eyes.
Anyway - backtracking slightly - I
had lugged around a parcel of paintings since 2001. I’m not kidding; I dragged these fucking things back from Vietnam
– beautiful, huge oil paintings, unframed, rolled up. At some point I cleverly unrolled them and packed
them flat in large cardboard packing, stuck them under a bed, and promptly
forgot about them. They’d resurface every time we moved (5 times in total
between getting them and arriving here) and every time I’d think: when I’m a grown-up, I’m going to get those
framed. Anyway, the removal men arrived to move us to Singapore, and when we got to the room where the cardboard
package was, I pointed it out and specifically – and prophetically, as it
transpired – said: Don’t throw that out.
They promptly threw it out, the Man rescued it, and said, again (but
louder): DON’T THROW THAT OUT.
They threw it out again. Properly.
There followed two years (almost) of
arguing with the removal folk. They
offered us a paltry amount in compensation, we scorned them, and then we lost
the train of thought and let the matter go.
Until last night. Last night I got an email from my best friend’s
sister asking if she could interview me for an article she’s doing for The
Sunday Times (THE SUNDAY TIMES FFS), about our international move. I said yes, and then a lightbulb went off in
my head.
One cunning email to the movers
later, a reference to not wishing to cause them embarrassment – and puff! The Case of the Missing Artwork has been resolved. To celebrate, the Man and I are going to dump
our kids and go out art shopping tmrw. Which just goes to show that the
Media has its uses after all. (Also –
buy the Sunday Times next weekend.)
Can I mention the cats? Here, watch this. It’s the funniest thing I have seen in ages (with apologies for sending you to the Daily Mail site. DO NOT LINGER). (Also: oh God, I have entered
the internet realm of cat videos. What’s next?
Slippers?)
* It should go without saying that
that is not me. That, in fact, is not a
woman who has ever had any children,
let alone three. Look at her shiny plump
skin! Her sparkling eyes! Her fresh radiance! NONE of that speaks of arse-wiping or
under-the-breath-muttering or wiping porridge out of your hair at 4pm.
No comments:
Post a Comment