Monday, 9 November 2015

Universal Bah-Humbuggery

Flush with the success of yesterday, today we grew arrogant and flew too close to the sun.  (Although I could just as easily blame the forces which create theme parks, because I have never had an enjoyable day in one of them [apart from Legoland, and that was because it was totally empty, and there was the promise of wine drunk from a plastic cup while hiding in the bathroom from the children at the end of the day - enough to raise anyone’s spirits.])  Anyway, whatever is to blame, today I decided that it was a good day to head to Universal Studios.
There wasn’t anything in particular to send us home under a cloud, just the general bluugh of theme parks.  It was hot and the kids were overly excited and so enormously annoying, and despite having Fastpasses we had to wait in line everywhere, and as if enduring rides which shake and jerk and rattle you to your very core  wasn’t bad enough, you get off and are deposited at one end of cack-filled shops through which you have to somehow manoeuvre several children without losing the will to live (or the battle of Please Can I Have This And This And This).
So now we are home and one third of my offspring is refusing to talk to me because I wouldn’t buy him a lurid sky-blue slushie thing (YOU NEVER BUY ME ANYTHING) and another third is “making snot” in the bathroom and  I still have tomorrow to get through. 
We have nothing planned (recipe for success, that) but I think I can say with some certainty that there will be no theme parks involved.
(Post Script:   it turned out she wasn’t making snot, she was “doing an experiment” which involved paint – much, much paint – of the thick, oil-based  type.  The experiment seemed to include covering feet and hands in said paint and smearing it everywhere.  This is hot on the heels of this morning’s “experiment” – which involved paint and her bedroom curtains – and so I am now totally over my children, and also banning all paint from the house forever.  Only because I think it’s probably too late to ban the children. ) 

2 comments:

  1. WHY aren't we all A Huge Megastar who gets theme parks opened just for them and therefore can breeze onto all the rides without a single person in front of them? Without this happening, they are basically one looong queue and I am officially over them.
    Re: paint and children - only ever, ever outside, and preferably in someone else's garden at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to three different Legolands and I have to say its the best of all the themeparks. Maybe because everything is nice and gentle - no chance of getting on something which looks soft and easy and then they fling you upside down and force your breakfast out of you. Anyway, I must try the wine trick next time i'm there, just to liven it up a little! Deb.

    ReplyDelete