The thing about summer holidays is
that WEEKS whizz by and suddenly it’s nearly Time To Go Home and you realise
that the thing which has been niggling at your brain – apart from your
children, who don’t so much niggle at it as CHEW AWAY AT IT DAY AND NIGHT – is that
you haven’t updated your blog in months.
(Practically.)
So here, a précis.
Summer
ups:
Fresh Irish air. Although I’m the first to admit that there is
a very fine line between fresh air and fucking freezing air. (It’s a line I’ve been walking for 6 weeks
now.)
Empty, windswept, beaches. (Alas empty because rain is being swept along
them by the wind. Nothing however that an umbrella and a bonfire
can’t sort.)
Friends, and their spare beds. And their spare gin. (Thank you all.)
Parents and sisters who swoop up
children and mind them, without expecting too much anything in return.
This book, which distracted me from London
Shopping.
This conversation with the Boy, re
Vikings:
“What is plundering?”
“Stealing everything you
can. Including people.”
“Really? You can steal people? Why would you want to
steal people?”
“For slaves. You steal them then you own them. But usually the Vikings only stole women.”
“Why? Men would be much better slaves than women.”
“You think? I think men would complain too much. But they stole them to make them have their
babies.”
“You mean they sexed
them?”
“Yes. They sexed them.”
“But the women didn’t
want to be sexed!”
“No, they didn’t.”
“But how can you sex
someone who doesn’t want to be sexed?”
“I suppose if you’re
much bigger you just force yourself.”
“But... That’s
terrible! Why would you want to sex someone
who doesn’t want it?”
“EXACTLY.”
The Girl on roller skates. A baby giraffe on ice. (Hilarious for me –
for her, not so much.)
Summer
downs:
FOUR WEEKS OF 24/7 CHILDCARE. (I did
get a week alone in London, which redressed the imbalance somewhat, but next
year I’m negotiating two weeks AND heavy-duty tranquilisers AND minimum wage.)
My sister’s dog – incredibly sweet
and ADORED by the children, but once you’ve seen a creature gobble up a bowl of
your child’s sick, you never quite see it in the same light again.
A migraine. On the Girl’s
birthday. (Thank you to my sister who
rescued me from where I was kneeling in a puddle of my own tears, whispering at
the children to pleasekeepthenoisedown, then helped me de-package the 27kgs of
Cadbury’s assortment, light six candles, and call it a Birthday Party.)
Nits. On the Girl’s birthday. (Also On the Girl’s Head.) Discovered more or
less at the exact time as I was thinking that I could FINALLY slope off to bed. Instead I sloped to the shop, bought E100 of
Agent Orange and spent the evening nuking the fuckers.
Rats. Apparently we’re getting our money’s worth
from the pest control people in Singapore.
Cats. I get daily updates from our
helper about the latest feline frolics – none of them sweet or funny or
amusing, WHICH WASN’T THE CAT-OWNERSHIP DEAL AT ALL. Yesterday’s missive – “cats fighting with a
stray in the kitchen, what should I do?”
(Tempted to say “lock the doors and leave them to it” but fear she might
take me literally, and we’ll arrive home in a few days to a rancid smell and rotten
clumps of fur wedging the kitchen door shut.)
Middle age. This summer I found self gravitating towards hideous (BUT SO COMFY! LIKE WALKING ON AIR!) granny sandals on at
least three occasions. (Ok. I didn’t so
much gravitate towards them as actually buy them. I got home the first time and
the Baby asked me if they belonged to our helper. Which should have been the warning I needed,
but did I heed it? Did I hell. (LIKE STEPPING IN TO A CLOUD! MY FEET SING FOR JOY!))
This Coming Thursday. Which of course might not be a summer down,
but I suspect the worst. Me. Three children. Two 8-hour flights. Back of the bus. A four-hour layover at midnight.
But! I
will not be downhearted. I have my lezzer
sandals to keep me strong, and cats and rats to look forward to.
I loved that book. She has yet to disappoint......
ReplyDeleteDid we ever do any of her books for book club? After You'd Gone remains my favourite, but this one comes a close second.
DeleteI am firmly into middle age with you (50 tomorrow - more than 'into'?) and now refuse to wear hurty shoes more than twice a month! Good luck for the trip back..
ReplyDeleteI think that if 50 is the new 40, then you're only just touching the sides of middle age. Belated birthday wishes! Hope you broke out the hurty shoes for the occasion (but brought the comfies in your handbag nonetheless)
DeleteShould have read you over there at TW first and would have seen that you're already back in one piece. Your post made me nostalgic for Cold Storage which used to delight me for many hours at a time!
ReplyDeleteIt's a total time-warp in there, isn't it? You pop in for milk, and four hours later you leave with a small bag containing $320-worth of nothing much. AND you forget the milk.
Delete