(*There are no hearths in Singapore. But there ARE gin&tonics, and balmy nights in which to enjoy them...)
The children went back to school today –
happy, happy days – and so normality has returned. Unfortunately, *my* normality is rather more
stressy than your average lounge-about-at-home person’s, and my inability to
properly set an alarm clock didn’t help get the new school year off to the best
start. GETUPGETUPGETUP, interspersed
with magnificent amounts of headless-chicken behaviour, and then discovering that the Girl had gone
back to bed AND gone back to sleep… I’m getting a bit stressy just thinking
about it. But all’s well that ends well (except, or course, when it doesn’t end well, but
with a phone call from the nurse’s office and a request to come collect your
child and his headache from school… Deep
breaths, tomorrow is another (child-free, hurrah) day.)
This must mean, of course, that we all
survived the hideous, gruesome flight home, with its many transfers and few
opportunities to sleep. I had bought these blow-up-cube things which you stick
in the space in front of your kids’ seat – they’re called First Class Kids,
which even my children scoffed at
(particularly the Boy – “That is
meant to be a first class seat?”) – and you look like a total wally as you
inflate it from the overhead air vents, but! They were pretty much fabulous and
the children stretched and slept and only kicked and punched each other (and
me) occasionally, which frankly, is akin to First Class as far as I’m concerned. (No such stretching
or sleeping for me, but I had the joy of telling the bitch air hostess that one
of my children had pissed the seat, and the consequent look on her face had me
chuckling all the way through immigration.) (No, I haven’t been paid by the
blowy-uppy-cube people, alas, but if they want to send me some cash, I have
spent about $500 on school-uniformy stuff today – school uniformy stuff which
is in addition to the entire school uniforms I bought before we went away) so
any donations very welcome.)
Speaking about being fleeced, I got
nagged into bringing the ungrateful offspring to Kidzania the other day (we
still had ELEVEN days of school holidays left when we got back). If you’re ignorant of these things – and for
your own sanity I hope you are - Kidzania
is a big indoor play area, where kids get to play at being grown ups. They open bank accounts and go work in
photo-copying outlets or fast food joints in the hope that some day they might
save enough money to bring their own kids
to over-priced play areas. It costs $58
PER CHILD to get in, and the best thing of all is that children under 8 are not
allowed to go in alone, so you, the horrified parent, have to spend an extra
$35 to accompany them. For this you get…
not a thing. (Actually, that's not quite true. There is a "Parents Only" room, where you can buy yourself the most miserable cup of tea imaginable for $4, and then sit with other ashen-faced parents, all wondering what they're going to have to sacrifice from next week's grocery-cart to pay for this lunacy.) Apart from that designated Zone of Bewilderment, “Parents not allowed!”
signs hang all over the place, so instead you stand alongside the 80-minute
queue with your unmanageable almost-4 year old, while her older offspring race
around shrieking and complaining about the queues. Why are there queues? Because, silly, only a handful of kids can
work in 7 Eleven or Pizza Hut or the Strip Joint* at any one time, but – for
reasons I still cannot fathom – about 128 continue to patiently line up outside, desperation etched on their teeny hopeful
faces. Throw in the Singaporean penchant for rules and inflexibility (“Queue
BEHIND the line!” “CANNOT leave the queue!”
“CANNOT pee in the queue!” etc) and really, you have the makings of a
particularly unpleasant day. Bizzarely,
however, the kids loved it – nothing gets them going like learning how baby
formula is made (Yes! I swear!) – and so
now *I* am queuing to work in 7-Eleven to pay for the next promised visit. (To balance this out, I dragged them to the
island’s best value venue the next day, after which they all slept
for about 15 hours. THAT is my sort of
place.)
Right.
I must go eat dinner. I will
leave you with this, my favourite photo of, well if not all time, then
definitely the summer. Where was it taken?
Why, at a bare-knuckle boxing match of course! (Why, how do you spend your summer Sundays?) Who is that screaming in the background (to
the right of the referee)? Why, the Girl
of course – who, as my Textpat spouse put it so beautifully, “Looks like she’s
about to jump in and rip that motherfucker’s head off herself.” I love this photo. It sums the Girl up so brilliantly. (Incidentally, if Kidzania ever open a
crowd-control unit – which surely they must – she would totally nail that job.)
(*There isn't really a strip joint.)
Fabulous photo - I especially love the raised hand. Everything about her shouts "GET UP AND FIGHT"!
ReplyDeleteI normally like your blog but did you really let your kid piss on an airline seat??
ReplyDeleteShe was asleep, poor thing, or so I thought, and it was very turbulent, and she wasn't allowed to get up. So when she woke up she whispered "I've wet my seat a tiny bit", and the poor love was so mortified that I didn't make a deal out of it. BUt I did think it was only fair to let the air hostess know, because the cover needs to be changed. That the air hostess was a total beatch, and looked AGHAST, was merely icing on the cake.
DeleteAnd ps - no matter how old your children, always always always carry a clean set of clothes for them on any flight. Also a plastic bag. (Obv, this doesn't apply if they're 19. Although who knows? The bladder is a mysterious thing.)
Delete