I am so, so sorry. My heart goes out to you and yours. Yes to wearing black. In those times, I find myself telling everyone I see, stranger or friend, about the terrible thing that has just happened. We need people to know, we need people to help us carry it. Bless your crazy little children.
Thinking of you, and so very sorry. And so happy you were there with him. And this is a lovely bit of writing, as always. I agree re wearing black. Some kind of formalized ritual ALWAYS helps with grief, I think. I wish there were conventions in place for mourning. Anyway, sending love. xxx
I am so sorry. I know what it's like to lose a parent and now, a decade later, I still can't believe my mom is gone. Aside from the raw grief, what I remember most is feeling somewhat adrift, like one of the tethers to my childhood memories had been cut loose. Be kind to yourself.
Ah Jessica I cried the whole way through your lovely piece. My dad died 17 years ago in similar circumstances- diagnosised told he had a few months and died less than 4 weeks later. I remember the nursing every day and like your dad he died at home with his 6 kids around him. I was lucky enough to be with him through the night before he died. Now 17 years later (21st December 1999) it's a huge comfort - you will all remember that time forever. Some days grief will take your breath away, you'll stop counting the times you go to ring your dad. You'll sometimes imagine you see him in a crowd or feel his hand on your shoulder. �� Thinking of you
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. I hope you can hug your children and feel some peace. As far as Trump, we are all sorry. I've been crying for 2 days now and I don't foresee that stopping anytime soon. Again, WE ARE SORRY.
I am so sorry for your loss. My father died suddenly of bone cancer 15 years ago. It is a truly terrible experience. And what you say about having more than one child is precisely why my now two year old son exists - so that his older brother will not have to go it alone. Sending you hugs from America, where the shit is only just beginning to hit the fan.
I'm friends with Rachael and I was really moved by what you've written. Thank you for sharing your deeply personal experiences around the death of your Dad. Your family sounds amazing and I just welled up at the "slice of sweetness". Katherine
I am very sorry for your loss. And very glad for your sisters. I have four. My Dad died three months after a cancer diagnosis. Four of us went to dinner last week to mark the 26th anniversary of his death. Only with siblings can you remember all those little things that make up a Dad.
So sorry to hear of your loss. Be glad of the obviously close and loving relationship you had with him and have with the rest of your family (including your crazy kids).
Sending heartfelt condolences from Spain. Hang on to the thought that it was probably better that it was quick and wonderful that you had that bonding time. It's very difficult to not be in the same country (almost inevitable if it's not quick) knowing someone you love is suffering far away. I to-ed and fro-ed for months with my Dad and again caring for my sister recently. So hard... Beautiful writing as always, thank you.
So very sorry about your awful news - expected or not, it's always grim.
Sensible, wise words about making contact to say something - we've all heard stories of people quite literally crossing the road to avoid a bereaved friend because they're feeling awkward..... just, no.
What a terrible year. I was checking in with all my internet faves to try and process the shitstorm and found your beautiful sad words..awful news, you poor love.
Global grieving for the uprising of the orange Voldemort mustn't deny you your personal grief..I'm so sorry for your loss. Your gorgeous little horror bags will get you through xxxx
So sorry to hear about your loss. Two years ago I had to rush home to say goodbye to my grandmother, who meant the world to me. I am so pleased that I was able to do it. Those last few days together are very special.
That's really shitty. Knew you'd been away but didn't know why. So sorry. Hope your troops (and your textpat wife) are providing some relief. Be well xxx
So Sorry for your loss. Glad you made it home to be with your dad. Sad but precious moment.
ReplyDeleteI am so, so sorry. My heart goes out to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteYes to wearing black. In those times, I find myself telling everyone I see, stranger or friend, about the terrible thing that has just happened. We need people to know, we need people to help us carry it.
Bless your crazy little children.
Thinking of you, and so very sorry. And so happy you were there with him. And this is a lovely bit of writing, as always. I agree re wearing black. Some kind of formalized ritual ALWAYS helps with grief, I think. I wish there were conventions in place for mourning.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, sending love. xxx
I am so sorry. I know what it's like to lose a parent and now, a decade later, I still can't believe my mom is gone. Aside from the raw grief, what I remember most is feeling somewhat adrift, like one of the tethers to my childhood memories had been cut loose. Be kind to yourself.
ReplyDeleteAh Jessica I cried the whole way through your lovely piece. My dad died 17 years ago in similar circumstances- diagnosised told he had a few months and died less than 4 weeks later. I remember the nursing every day and like your dad he died at home with his 6 kids around him. I was lucky enough to be with him through the night before he died. Now 17 years later (21st December 1999) it's a huge comfort - you will all remember that time forever. Some days grief will take your breath away, you'll stop counting the times you go to ring your dad. You'll sometimes imagine you see him in a crowd or feel his hand on your shoulder. �� Thinking of you
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. I hope you can hug your children and feel some peace.
ReplyDeleteAs far as Trump, we are all sorry. I've been crying for 2 days now and I don't foresee that stopping anytime soon. Again, WE ARE SORRY.
I am so sorry for your loss. My father died suddenly of bone cancer 15 years ago. It is a truly terrible experience. And what you say about having more than one child is precisely why my now two year old son exists - so that his older brother will not have to go it alone. Sending you hugs from America, where the shit is only just beginning to hit the fan.
ReplyDeleteCandace, in Nevada
My condolences for your loss.
ReplyDeleteSue
An ex-pat in Cyprus
I'm friends with Rachael and I was really moved by what you've written. Thank you for sharing your deeply personal experiences around the death of your Dad. Your family sounds amazing and I just welled up at the "slice of sweetness".
ReplyDeleteKatherine
So sorry to read that you've just lost your father. Very glad to hear you had a bubble of love with you family just before however. Take care
ReplyDeleteI am very sorry for your loss. And very glad for your sisters. I have four. My Dad died three months after a cancer diagnosis. Four of us went to dinner last week to mark the 26th anniversary of his death. Only with siblings can you remember all those little things that make up a Dad.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of your loss. Be glad of the obviously close and loving relationship you had with him and have with the rest of your family (including your crazy kids).
ReplyDeleteSending heartfelt condolences from Spain. Hang on to the thought that it was probably better that it was quick and wonderful that you had that bonding time. It's very difficult to not be in the same country (almost inevitable if it's not quick) knowing someone you love is suffering far away. I to-ed and fro-ed for months with my Dad and again caring for my sister recently. So hard... Beautiful writing as always, thank you.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry about your awful news - expected or not, it's always grim.
ReplyDeleteSensible, wise words about making contact to say something - we've all heard stories of people quite literally crossing the road to avoid a bereaved friend because they're feeling awkward..... just, no.
What a terrible year. I was checking in with all my internet faves to try and process the shitstorm and found your beautiful sad words..awful news, you poor love.
ReplyDeleteGlobal grieving for the uprising of the orange Voldemort mustn't deny you your personal grief..I'm so sorry for your loss. Your gorgeous little horror bags will get you through xxxx
So sorry about your father. Wishing you moments of peace and happy memories.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your loss. Two years ago I had to rush home to say goodbye to my grandmother, who meant the world to me. I am so pleased that I was able to do it. Those last few days together are very special.
ReplyDeleteVery beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you.
That's really shitty. Knew you'd been away but didn't know why. So sorry. Hope your troops (and your textpat wife) are providing some relief. Be well xxx
ReplyDeleteMy heart is full and broken in equal measure for you. I'm very sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry. Hugs as big as the oceans between us. Deborah xxx
ReplyDeleteso sorry for your loss
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you have your sisters to support you.
ReplyDelete