Occasionally (albeit rarely, in this
house) parents stumble onto something which is so brilliant, they wonder why
they never thought of it before. Let me
share with you my fabulous get-them-out-of-the-house-in-the-morning Damascus
moment.
Such was necessary because we are ALWAYS
late for school. The kids dawdle and
play and fight, and generally take advantage of the fact that I’m faffing about
and chasing my tail and remembering at the last minute all the crap that comes
with getting three kids out the door (the Baby comes along for the ride).
So yesterday, after the usual put-your-shoes-on-put-your-shoes-on-PUT-YOUR-SHOES-ON-NOW!
shout-fest, I had a brainwave. I told the kids that from now on if they are not
standing by the door fully dressed, bags, lunch-boxes and sports gear at the
ready and ready to go when my alarm goes off, they are being brought to school as
is. If they’re naked, or wearing their
sister’s knickers on their heads or generally in any of the many ridiculous
states they’re generally in at ten past the leaving time, that’s how they’ll be
brought to school. They were
incredulous, but I stuck to my guns, and, unwilling to take any chances, they
were all beautifully lined up and ready this morning.
(Of course I was still faffing about, and had to run back inside to get my water
bottle, then wipes for the baby, so we were late as usual, but I see great potential
in this.)
Less successful was the other
parenting brainwave I attempted to implement last night. As I was putting the kids in their pjs, I noticed
the Boy’s breath smelt sweet. So of
course I jumped to conclusions and accused him of eating sweets (they still have
a stash hidden from Halloween, which – thankfully – they keep forgetting about). He was absolutely adamant that he hadn’t,
looked me straight in the eye and swore he DID NOT. So I apologised, and then went into his
bathroom and found a discarded lollipop wrapper and stick. But.
It could have been there from
another time, right? So I decided to
give him the benefit of the doubt. I sat
him down, looked him in the eye, and asked him if he’d eaten a lollipop. “No Mum, I swear I haven’t.”
And then he smirked.
So, he needed a punishment. Not so much for eating sweets when he’s not
allowed to (sweets are usually for weekends only), but for lying – so smoothly!
– about it. Anyway, I came up with the BEST punishment. I told him that he was going to be sent to bed without brushing his
teeth. Brilliant, no?
Except - no. He was
hysterical - started weeping and stammering, giving me every reason why he had to brush his teeth. “Do you want to have to pay for my fillings?
Is THAT what you want?” So we discussed it – I discussed it, he was too fraught
– and when I’d finished talking, he burst into tears and howled – “I DON’T WANT
TO END UP LOOKING LIKE YOU!”
Hmmm. Sometimes those moments of
parenting brilliance aren’t so brilliant after all.
(On the other hand, if anyone wants
to get their kids into the teeth-brushing habit, let me know and I’ll send you
a pic of my silver-fillinged-mouth.)
Ouch. That must have hurt.
ReplyDeleteno card yet :(
ReplyDeleteWhat brilliant pieces of parenting!! As for the second, if you can't have good teeth, at least you can be a warning to your children.
ReplyDeleteMy sister in law brought one of my nieces to school in her pyjamas because she had pronounced the same edict which was not adhered to. She is always ready by 7am these days. The niece not the sister in law.
ReplyDeleteSounds like what I - oh horrible mother - did to my eldest when I was fed up with the morning-fight. She went to school without shoes.
ReplyDeleteGot told off by teacher..
But my darling girl remembers the first part of the happening and warned her brother recently 'put on your shoes, she WILL do it'.
Yup.
Now to find a way to stop the eternal bitching.. theirs, I must add.