In the words of one of my lovely
Irish friends here, it was a poxy weekend.
Even worse, it was a long poxy
weekend, the length extended by 50% fairly suddenly two weeks ago with the
announcement of a general election. (Yes,
two weeks; in your face America, with your drawn-out democratic process...) The poxiness was two-fold: the arrival in our house of Hand, Foot &
Mouth Disease, and the arrival, in our jurisdiction, of The Haze.
The Haze is a nice phrase used here
to describe a thick blanket – more of a shroud, actually - of pollution which envelopes the island for
days on end every couple of years. It’s basically
caused by Doritos*, so please stop buying them, because my eyes hurt and I am
about to murder my house-bound children.
(*It’s caused by forest burning in Indonesia, usually
started to clear vast areas for palm production. Thus, Doritos. Have some carrot sticks instead? YUM.) So once it starts looking like The End of
Civilisation outside (it does, truly – here, take a look:
It just looks like fog, doesn’t
it? Fog which is making the view a wee
bit blurry in the distance? IT’S NOT
FOG, and in the (near) distance are – should be – large buildings and tower
blocks. (Actually, I quite like that I can’t see them, but I wish it was
because they weren’t there. Not because a great big bloody bonfire was blowing its
toxic fumes all over us.))
...once it starts looking like The
End of Civilisation, people – ex-pats – start going slightly crazy and taping up
their doors and windows, and gluing their children to the sofa, and wearing
these:
Ha!
I’ve always wanted to be a London bicycle courier. Don’t worry, I haven’t actually ventured
outside in this – YET. But I will have
to if we run out of triangular cheesy corn snacks. (Also, eye-drops might be a good idea for
the shopping list, no?)
While I think of it, there are many
benefits to wearing these masks – not least because it will prevent a coroner
from concluding in years to come that I smoked 80 fags a day:
I can yell and shriek at my
similarly be-masked children all I want, because (a) no one will recognise me,
and (b) no one – including my children – can hear me.
No lipstick needed.
Chin-sag hidden.
Ditto wonky teeth (although braces
have been ordered! Part of me is hoping we get 12 months smog once they’re in
place).
The children are delighted to wear
them, and actually obey me when I order them on (they did initially query why they
had to wear them in the car and indoors, but deferred to me once I hissed Beijing at them) and behind them their
usual squabbles and complaints are delightful smothered muffles. AND if they wear them long enough they
eventually stop talking / moving altogether, which long-term isn’t so good, but
as a short-term solution to parenthood is excellent.
Part II of Poxy Weekend was a
variation on the usual Sick Child event; a cranky, sad, runny-nosed Baby, who became
cranky and fevered, and then cranky and fevered and spotty of hand and foot.
And kept complaining that her mouth was sore, and would only eat
ice-cream. And despite all this, it took
until Sunday morning – almost a week after the initial onset of crankiness and
its cohorts- for the parenting penny to drop.
Did you know that if you have
HF&M in Singapore that you have to report it to the Government AND
quarantine the child for TEN DAYS? Not
that we’re going anywhere in that pea-soup, but it’s making a miserable
situation even more so.
Speaking of which, I have just had
the most delicious pea-soup – the irony and appropriateness of which has only
just dawned on me – for dinner. The Man
is away, a situation I usually celebrate by having soup for dinner. (I am banned from doing so in his presence; apparently
soup is “not dinner”.) (I also generally have one of his bottles of wine. That’ll show him.) I think I’ve given this recipe before, but
you just add a bag of frozen peas to some softened onions and potatoes, throw
in a handful of mint (if you have it), cover with stock, bring to the boil,
then simmer for a few minutes before blending.
Lots of olive oil and salt. No photo, because I didn’t think of it (and
was too busy gobbling and drinking).
Here’s one instead of the Baby, skipping out to play hide-and-go-seek in the smog. (It keeps them occupied for hours.)

So thats what you look like! Also, I wonder if its time to rename the Baby?
ReplyDeleteyuck, hand foot and mouth disease really is poxy!! we weathered it with lots of telly and ice-cream, which of course meant that everyone pretended to be still sick long after they werent!
ReplyDelete