Big fat fail on the daily blogging
front. I was going to use the world
going to Hell in a handbasket as an excuse, but the truth is I was just very
busy. Apart from the emotional turmoil
of the day (including spending an inordinate
amount of time reading online European newspapers, and a similar length of time
debating whether or not to filter my FB profile with the Tricolore [the cynic
in me thought Fuck You Facebook, jumping on the bandwagon of grief and disgust;
the normal rational person thought Fuck You Isis, you bunch of murderous thugs]),
it was Saturday, which demands prolonged drinking of loose-leaf English
Breakfast tea and reading of English Breakfast newspapers on the balcony. (THIS was
the true reason for neglecting my blogging duties.)
We then spent a hugely pleasant
child-free afternoon battling our way through the market stalls of Little India,
with the aim of buying some traditional outfits for a Deepavali party (which
was fabulous) last night. Sitting there,
eating dhal-soaked dosa in a very authentic
Indian cafe (so authentic that I found myself having flashbacks to my
back-packing days and instinctively wondering if this was the meal which would ruin my trip) we had a light-bulb
moment: Why do we not do this every Saturday? For some reason we - I – feel guilted into spending every second
of the weekend with the kids, doing *stuff*, keeping them busy and active and
(mainly) exhausted. When really, we
should be leaving them at home with our maid and a movie, while we go and
potter about in interesting corners of this very interesting place. And so that is the new Saturday plan. I’m rather pleased with it. In fact I’m so excited for next weekend
that I’m practically making self a calendar to cross off the days.
CAT UPDATE: The new kitty litter is dreadful and manages to not only NOT cover up the smell of cat
urine (uuuuuugh) but in fact to accentuate it.
Let me tell you, cat pee is not a smell which requires
accentuation. FFS. Also, I have just fed them some of the tinned cat food I was conned into
buying by the pet-shop people (“Oh yes,
the more expensive the better”). They
shrieked with joy (the cats, not the pet shop people; they didn't, but ought to have done). I’m just hoping that
the new kitty litter can cope.
"Clumping" cat litter is the only answer! Import from America if you can't find it Singapore. You just use a scoop to take out the "clumps". It works amazingly well and absorbs the odor!
ReplyDeleteThanks K! I am off to search for some tmrw, failing which I will be putting my sanity in the hands of Amazon...
DeleteThere are loads of clumping cat litter in Singapore, we used to order this by truck loads (they deliver for free above $80 ... there's nothing more frsutrating than dragging these home!) http://www.petloverscentre.com/Forms/Products.aspx?ID=17773&DepartmentID=2&DeptCategoryID=34&action=detail
ReplyDeleteGood luck
Bless you Mrs S. I ended up in - uuuuugh - Turf City today and bought a trial bag (only $28, yay...) of clumping stuff, so assuming it works the wonders I am hoping for, I'll be all over that.
DeleteIt shall rid you of all the smelly problems, as long as you remember to scoop the clumps out ... good luck!
DeleteIt shall rid you of all the smelly problems, as long as you remember to scoop the clumps out ... good luck!
DeleteIs this the one you use? (CAN YOU ATTEST TO ITS EFFECTIVENESS, is what I really mean) And the lavender - really? Not too old ladyish?
Delete